Thursday, December 3, 2009

Does Santa Claus have a Place in a Christian's Christmas?

I was raised watching my parents give to people in need. Not just at Christmas, but especially at Christmas. They would always adopt children from a local children's home for Christmas. One year stands out because a friend, who had just signed withthe Pittsburg Steelers took the football we purchased for our adopted boy and had his teammates sign it. There are some amazing signatures on that football, including Terry Bradshaw. Dwayne and I have carried on that Christmas tradition and we make sure to buy for a family or children who are in need. However, I have to confess, that giving money or buying gifts, though it can be difficult financially, is not the most sacrificial giving. Giving what you have and use is much harder than giving from your abundance. Let me explain. When I was a child my mother decided I had too many toys and my cousin had none. She made me go through my toys and give away a third. All of a sudden every toy was my favorite. It was a very hard thing to do and one that I still remember. Then as an adult, I had a friend who needed some work clothes. I had recently cleaned out my closet of unwanted items and had given them away. God convicted me to give my friends some of my favorite clothes, you know everything hanging in my closet. I went to my closet and pulled out some favorite outfits and gave them to her. That was the most sacrificial giving I have ever done.
Christmas is a time for giving. We hear that every year. Christ gave everything to us and in honor of Him, we give to others. There is another symbol of giving we include in our Christmases, it is Santa Clause. Every Christian battles the question of how much Santa Claus do we allow in our Christmas. It can be a real dilemma. However, when you know the real story of Santa Claus, it can become a meaningful part of your Christmas celebration. I was blessed to know the real story of Santa when the kids were young and we incorporated it into our festivities. Last year, a local radio station put the following story of Santa Claus on their web site and I want to pass it on to you.

The Real Story of St. Nicholas
Maybe we give old St. Nick too much static for the over-commercialization of Christmas. This thought comes to me after reading what Bruce Thielman, Chaplain at Grove City College in Pennsylvania had to say on the subject."At Christmas, when calling us to be manger people, perhaps Jesus might say: Consider, if you will my servant, Nicholas. He lost his parents early in his life in an epidemic, but not before he was old enough for them to help him discover the gift of faith. After that, little Nicholas went to Myra and lived a life full of self offering and giving of himself. His life was full of sacrifice and love in the spirit of Jesus. Nicholas lived such a Christ-like life, that when the town needed a bishop, he was immediately elected. Later he was imprisoned for his Christian faith, but was later released by the Emperor Constantine. Thereafter, many stories of his generosity were collected and spread like wildfire from mouth to mouth. It was told how he begged food for the poor, and how he would somehow get money for girls to use as a dowry so that they could have husbands. The story most often repeated was about how he would put on a disguise and go out and give gifts to poor children. In fact, Nicholas gave away everything he had, plus everything he could get from others. Good Nicholas died in 314 A.D. Later his body was moved to Italy, where his remains are reported to be today. The story of Nicholas has spread around the world. Today, there are more European churches named after St. Nicholas than any other person in the history of the church... aside from Biblical characters. People have done many things to St. Nick. Clement More, the poet, gave him a red nose and eight tiny reindeer. Artist Thomas Nast gave Nicholas a round belly and a red, fur trimmed suit. But, that is not important! What is vital, is that he lived in the mind-set and lifestyle of Christ. Because he lived that way, the life of Nicholas touched the whole world. Now, here is the kicker: that same Christ-like mind-set and lifestyle is supposed to be in and lived by us all."
That is a story we can tell our children. That is an example we can follow. If we made giving a part of our life, how would that touch the lives of others? The thing we need to not do is make St. Nicholas the focus. I don't think he would want that. We can't make ourselves the focus when we give either. We must make Jesus the focus of all giving, for everything comes from Him.

We all live off His generous bounty, gift after gift..
John 1:16 (Message)
P.S. There is a children's book I used with my children called, "Santa, Are You Real". There are also a variety of books that teach about the real St. Nicholas at Barnes and Noble.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Well once again I love this post!!! Made my whole day!! When I was growing up we always picked a child or a elderly person off the angel tree and my mom explained to me that these people were less fortunate than us and we give to those in need. I always enjoyed helping pick out the presents and wrap them and know that those people were going to have a present and it would hopefully make them happy. Still today I love watching people open presents and see the joy on their face. My moms saying was, "It is better to give than to receive", but I receive something even when I give and that is the joy and smiles of others open thier presents.
On the Santa note. I am so going to get this book Santa are you real because I really liked the St. Nickolas story...I have never heard it in full until today. I think it is a great way to incorporate Santa into a childs life without taking focus off of the REAL reason we celebrate. Thanks Tonya for the tip on the book.

Sherry said...

Well you know I love halloween.....so of course I have so much fun with santa too. I feel sorry for my niece and nephews that dont get to participate in this childhhood right of passage. Christians can be so fuddy duddy and have no sense of imagination or fun!
Can the King of Kings really be taken off the throne in your own home because of Santa? I say only if you dont live for him the other 11 months out of the year!!!!!! We celebrate the coming of our Lord and King.....and we hear santa "up on the roof top....click click click".

Sherry said...

So maybe I should not post things so late at night... I am not saying that we should not live for Jesus during December.....of course we should.....everyday, every breath, every moment. My point was that incorporating Santa into a Christmas celebration where the coming of Emmanuel (*God with Us*) is the true focus will not dethrone Jesus. I think we have to be careful.....but I also think that God is bigger than our box....and has a way better sense of joy, wonder and humor than we will ever acknowledge or understand.