Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What is Holding on To You?

     When we were in Fort Worth while Dwayne went to seminary, I worked as a manager of a temporary service. I worked in a twenty story building, in the TCU area. Trying to fit in to the Texas culture, I wore a wrap denim skirt to work one day. It was actually a cold day for Texas and I was bundled up in a coat. I parked in the parking lot, got out of my car, felt the cold instantly to my bones, and took off running for the building. I might have made it three steps before I was flat on my back on the pavement of the parking lot. I was instantly ticked off! I had done nothing to end up in this familiar spot but once again it was where I was. Like always, my shoes flew off my feet: pumps are not good to fall in! Oh yea, my wrap skirt was no longer wrapped around me! It was wide open for everyone to see! My mind was telling me that the whole 20 floors of people were looking out their windows at me having a good laugh. I finally swallowed my humiliation and stood up to go get my shoes when I felt a tug from behind me. I had discovered what was to blame for my fall. When I closed my door my coat tail had gotten caught in the door! When I took off running, it was if I had been roped like a calf! Thank God nobody was there to tie up my feet and hands! Why can’t I ever get these falls on tape? Ten thousand dollars from America's Funniest Home Video would sure help my humility!
     Often in life we make a new commitment to improve our spiritual walk with the Lord. We take off running only to fall! We often do not understand what is happening. In reality, we are usually holding on to old things; or we allow old things to hold on to us! Things from our days when we were out of fellowship with the Lord. They can be actions, or thoughts, hurts, or behaviors that we should have cut out of our life a of a long time ago; but we didn’t because secretly. . . we really like them! We know they do not have a part of the life we want to live; a life honoring to God but we haven’t wanted God more than we want them!
     What do you have in your life that you need to let go of? What do you have in your life that needs to let go of its hold on you? Isn't it time to move forward with God in your life? You can't move forward with something holding you back each time you try to run! How do you want to live? Tied down? Or free to run? What do you want more; the thing you are holding onto or God?

We're being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life. This new life is starting right now!
Titus 2:12

3 comments:

Steph said...

This devotion really spoke to me today. I have realized that there are things tieing me down! I love it when I read something and it seems as if it was meant just for me. Our God is amazing!

Sara said...

This is simple to me. EXCUSES! LAZYNESS! That is my coat that is caught in the door. Thank you for your dedication to this devotion.

Mrs. T. said...

I guess it's true when they say it's not how many times you fall but how many times you pick yourself up. I'm glad the Lord is there to pick us all up when we fall and at some point we all do.