Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

      Happy Father’s Day! I have been blessed to have many men in my life who fulfilled a father role and touched and changed my life. However, I want to tell you about the father I have lived with the longest. He isn’t my father, but he is the father of my children. He is amazing as a father in many ways. He was hard when I couldn’t be and he was soft when I was too mad to be! He used every opportunity to teach them about God. He always maintained a perfect balance of discipline and grace and taught the kids how God does both. As partners in parenting, we have laughed together, cried together, hoped together, beamed together, questioned together, stood together, and have loved together. I would not want anyone else to share this part of life with than the man God gave me. However, I am not the child. So, I wanted to know what our children would say is the most important quality as a parent they believe their dad has. Bryce without hesitation said it was the fact that he leads by example! He could see how to live by watching his father. Brittne, being my daughter, elaborated on her answer a little more. Here it is: “Okay I would say the best quality about Dad is his willingness to always serve and show love for others no matter the circumstances. Example of his demonstration of love - Growing up, I always remember him making hospital runs non-stop. He rarely even knew the person in the hospital. It was usually a family member of someone he knew. But he never hesitated to stop what he was doing and go and show love and support to the person who needed it. And it doesn’t stop at hospital visits, the list goes on and on....sporting events, counseling sessions, funerals, etc. However he could show love and support to someone, he found a way. It didn’t matter that he was tired or he was busy or the distance he had to travel. Example of service – Dad has never ceased to serve the Lord in the years I have known him. I have seen him stay up late working on sermons, work late hours constructing church buildings, deliver food boxes to the poor etc. He is one of the hardest workers I know. And to know it is all for the Lord is a very admirable quality”. His newest child; his daughter-in-law thinks it is his dedication that is one of his greatest qualities. She says he is always there to encourage her, to remind her of what’s really important, and to be a great source of knowledge and wisdom.

      Four people all seeing the same thing; a great father and a great Godly example. Yesterday, I heard a great illustration of how parenthood begins. The day your child is born their mind is a blank slate, just waiting to have their parents write on it what they want them to know, and to help them find God’s plan for their life. Dwayne you have written wonderfully in the minds of your family! Happy Father’s Day from your family who loves and respects you very much!
      Though I have always known how great Dwayne is as a father, this year I get to see his influence in a new way.  I get to observe how wonderful my son is as a father.  He is loving his wife, caring for his family, growing in the Lord, and being an amazing father to his baby girl.  I am so proud of him.  However, I know that the example Dwayne was for Bryce helped God mold Bryce into the father he needs to be for his family!
      Take today to do some pondering. Ponder what the father roles in your life has taught you; both good and bad. Then evaluate yourself as a parent. Are you doing the thing you want to do? If you’re not a parent yet, you are in training to be one; prepare well. If you are not going to be a parent; there are so many people who need a strong parent role in their life; look and pray for someone to love and encourage! Lastly, celebrate the perfect father today; your Heavenly Father! Praise Him for all He is and for all He does! Happy Father’s Day ABBA (Papa)!!

You can tell for sure that you are now fully adopted as his own children because God sent the Spirit of his Son into our lives crying out, "Papa! Father!"
Galatians 4:6

No comments: