Saturday, September 19, 2009

Forgotten Prayer

As I have been thinking about the main people who God has used to grow me in my spiritual journey, I have to say the one who has had the greatest impact (of course he has had the most time in) is my husband. Without him in my life, my Christian walk would be hanging out on Easy Street. I would probably be back in our home church, hanging out with my friends, doing the ministries I love and staying in my comfort zone. There would have been no goodbyes with friends, no stretching of faith, no sacrifice, and avoidance of hurtful relationships. However, there would not have been the new avenues of blessing, the growing of my faith, the experience of seeing God provide, the joys of many new friends, the honor of being apart of His work, and the rewards of submission to His will. My relationship with Christ has grown because I have a partner in life who has marked Easy Street off of our map. I still find myself trying to locate it again but he is much stronger and bigger than me! haha
What is amazing to me about having the honor of being Dwayne Thompson's wife is that he is not just an answer to prayer but an answer to a forgotten prayer. When I started dating Dwayne at the age of 15, he was not a Christian. (Yes, I know I shouldn't have been dating him but in my case it ended okay, another blessing of God) Though I saw a future with him early, I did not dream it would be a life in the ministry. So, I soon forgot about hidden desires that God had placed in my heart until after we surrendered to the ministry. Then I remembered, vividly being in my childhood church and praying that God would make me a wife of a pastor. I had forgotten all about that but God didn't.
As a parent I love hearing my children say something they want and then them forgetting about it and then me remembering and giving it to them for Christmas. That happened one year with Bryce. He had wanted a lifetime hunting license for years but because he knew how expensive they were had given into the fact that he was going to have to save his money one day himself and get it. Then one Christmas, to his surprise he received his gift out of the clear blue. I have never seen him so emotional over a gift.
As much joy as that brings me, it brings God even more. Scripture says that if we know how to give gifts, He does it even better. Just know that God does hear every prayer. He might not answer yes to all of them but many times He waits for just the right time and surprises us with the answer!! He is such an amazing father!

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
Matthew 7:11

1 comment:

Sherry said...

....marking "easy street" off my map.....well actually Jesus did that years ago....but now I have a word picture to explain it:)