Thursday, January 28, 2010

It Is Hard Work!

     I have said before how much I love watching the Biggest Loser. I have learned a lot from watching it! It pushes me when I need it and it encourages me to do more and not to quit. Last night’s show didn’t do any direct teaching but it gave me a visible picture I will never forget. Every week there is a challenge where teams compete. This week each team had a cage that was attached to ropes connected to a massive crane. Their mission was to pull on the ropes to lift themselves 120 feet to the top of the crane. The first team to get there would win phone calls home. Every team wanted those phone calls really bad. Before they began they each spoke of how much they wanted it and how they were going to work hard to win. Within a few pulls, they were beginning to talk about how hard it was to move their cages. Within minutes several teams stopped trying because they didn’t think they could do it. It was too hard. Usually every team finishes the challenge just because they do not want to quit. This week only two finished.
The journey to good health and weight loss is hard. It is one of the hardest things I have done. You have to understand that from the beginning so you do not quit when it gets hard. One day when I was so disappointed about the results of my hard work, I cried to God about why it had been so hard for me when the weight seemed to fall off for my friends. I believe God revealed to my heart that if it was easy for me, I would go right back to my old ways as soon as I met my goals. Then I would just easily take it all off again. When it is hard, I will work much harder to keep myself from gaining it all back. He was right. Though I am still not where I want to be, I work hard at not going back to old ways, because I know how hard it is to take off.
     There are many things that are hard about the Christian walk. Do not expect it to be a breeze in the park. Though it gives us blessings, joy, and peace it is not easy learning to control our flesh. It is especially difficult to not be controlled by the flesh when it comes to getting along with people. When we have to eat our words, or apologize, or admit mistakes, or forgive someone, or let go of hurt, or ignore attacks, or choose to not argue and defend our viewpoint, IT IS HARD!!! However, the results are amazing. We experience the control of the spirit which fills us with love, joy, goodness, kindness, peace, patience, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I think that is a great trade off.
     Are you ready for some hard work? Or do you want the easy way? Are you going to give into the flesh? Or are you going to give into the Spirit? You will reap the result of your choice!
    
You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.
James 3:18

2 comments:

Steph said...

It seems that there is a common misconception that if you believe in God your life is a breeze. We don't put our faith in God because life will be easy we do it because we know and have faith that He will see us through both good and bad times. I had this verse as one of my daily ones.
Ecclesiastes 7:14
When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made one as well as the other.

Sara Rose said...

That God, he's one smart cookie. He tends to always know what we need. The verse that pops in my head when reading this is...

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.