Thursday, January 21, 2010

Time to Grow UP

We are going to discuss one more drink which we consume instead of water. This drink is a necessary part of our diet. “It’s what's good for you." MILK! We have been drinking it since the day we were born. It has calcium (which is fundamental to our bones), proteins, and vitamins. It helps prevent atherosclerosis. I love my milk in any form other than a liquid in a glass, regardless of how cold it is. On the other hand, I like cheese, butter, creme, and yogurt. My favorite way to have my milk is creamy and frozen! Research shows we each need two low-fat servings of dairy per day. However, whole milk is high in saturated fats and cholesterol, this can increase our cholesterol levels and in turn, increases the risk for coronary heart disease. Also, the high fat content can show up on the scales! Milk is definitely something we need, it gives us vitamins and nutrients to help us maintain good health, but it cannot replace water!

Today, I do not have to come up with the analogy of milk and our spiritual health. God already did that for me in Hebrews 5:12-14! In these verses, the basic teachings of God’s righteousness is called milk. Though it is important to drink milk when we are infants, we are to learn God’s Word , to teach it to others, stand on it, practice it, and grow up and eat solid food. We shouldn’t have to be taught the same principles of God’s righteousness over and over. The older I get and the longer I counsel and teach people, the more I believe the majority of Christians never get off of milk. I know Christians who continue to hear and study the basic principles of our faith over and over. Years go by and they are still struggling with the same issues. They have never taught or shared God’s Word with anyone. They are not confident in their own knowledge because they have not studied God's Word for themselves, they just hear it from the pulpit every week. When trials and tests come, they do not stand on their faith and their beliefs. They doubt and question. Then the same learning process starts all over again.

One thing that can test the patience of a mature adult is dealing with an immature person. This person may be an adult by age but they act like a child. They complain, cry, and want things their own way. They want to play and not work. They only laugh and joke and are never serious. As we grow into adulthood we expect others to act like the adults they are. God expects the same from his children. We start out as babies and we get nourishment from the milk, the Word of God. As we grow though, God expects us to change and mature. We are to practice our faith and let it grow us to mature adult children of God. As adults we consume the Living Water to mature us and teach us; to give us spiritual health.
How long have you been a Christian? Are you a baby or an adult? Are you still consuming milk? Is it time to drink more Living Water?


For even though by this time you ought to be teaching others, you actually need someone to teach you over again the very first principles of God’s Word. You have come to need milk, not solid food. For everyone who continues to feed on milk is obviously inexperienced and unskilled in the doctrine of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in purpose, thought and action), for he is a mere infant (not able to talk yet)! But solid food is for full-grown men, for those whose senses and mental facilities are trained by practice to discriminate and distinguish between what is morally good and noble and what is evil and contrary either to divine or human law.

Hebrews 5:12-14


Thank you for your kind words and encouragement for the devotions. Today is the 100th devotion. Who else but God knew I had so much to say! No comment from you Dwayne! lol

4 comments:

Sara Rose said...

ok, so the Holy Spirit in me said that I still drink a little milk. I am not dependent on it, but still enjoy it. It's time for solid food!!!

Congrats on the 100th post. Keep up the great work!

Steph said...

YAY for 100th Post!!! Good Job!

I will say that I am probably take a glass a milk occasionally. I need to weam completely away. Just more of the "work in progress Steph"!

P.S. I have been sharing what the blog says with my mom. She loves it and it great to hear what she has to say so we can discuss it.

Sherry said...

Can I ask a question?

I find that there are some things I learn over and over again.....but I don't think of it as being stuck in immaturity but as things that are ingrained in my personality that I just "naturally" gravitate back to and have to be reminded by God what His word says. Is that the same as being stuck on milk?

Sherry said...

woooooo hoooooo on number 100!