Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Never Alone!

There was only one time during our trip that I had a sense of fear and panic from my environment. We purchased a tour of some islands with birds, penguins, and sea lions. Part of the tour cost covered the travel to and from the town where the tour began. The town was about an hour north of where we were so the salesmen of the tour had a great idea. Since we were planning on traveling back to Lima after the tour and we would be traveling five hours north, they would drop us off at the small town on the highway to catch our bus and save us two hours of travel time. Now we would not have to travel an hour back south just to turn around and travel back north through the same town where they could drop us off. This sounded like a great plan to us. So after the tour, the taxi driver drove us to the intersection of the highway back to Lima. The town we had expected was more like a few shacks and something like a truck stop. Since the bus we rode from Lima stopped at least every 30 minutes to pick people up along the highway, we knew this was nothing to panic about. However, since we were planning on purchasing bus tickets at a bus station where we could use a Visa card or an ATM to get out some cash to convert to soles, we now found ourselves with six soles between us and a twenty dollar bill. Tickets from Lima had cost us around 30 soles each and so we knew we were going to cut it close. Now we found our self standing on a highway in South America, with not enough money to catch a bus back to Lima! Not a position I was feeling good about. First, I had a momentary panic. Nobody in the world knew where we were, how could they. I remember my first thought was that if I looked at a map, I could find the spot we were standing. That brought some relief. However, I had a rush of peace come over me when I realized that God knew where we were. He didn't even have to have a map. As long as He knew where we were, He would take care of us and help us figure out what to do. Within minutes the bus came. Brittne started explaining to the ticket master on the bus our predicament and with great amazement Brittne told us that they agreed to let us ride to the next stop where Brittne could convert her dollars to soles and pay for our tickets! She did that and when we were back on the bus heading for Lima, the ticket master came to collect his money. Once again, we were in a predicament. We were 2 soles short. Again, God took care of us because the ticket master told Brittne not to worry about the 2 soles. All was well, and soon we were back at Brittne's apartment in Lima.

This situation happens to us many times through life. Sometimes, we panic that we feel deserted in an unknown place. We feel lost and forgotten about. We can not see any possible way to be delivered through our circumstances. It is at these times we need to remind our self that God knows exactly where we are. He will provide for us in ways we can not see or fathom. We must keep our self from panic and worry by standing firm in trust and faith in God and watch Him work!


Is there any place I can go to avoid your Spirit? to be out of your sight? If I climb to the sky, you're there! If I go underground, you're there! If I flew on morning's wing to the far western horizon, You'd find me in a minute--you're already there waiting!

Psalms 139:7-10 (The Message)


2 comments:

Steph said...

God is awesome in the way of providing for us!
Today I have to go to the dentist to get a crown either made or something and I have made myself sick over it. On the way to work I was stressing about it and thought I don't want to go by myself but I thought well God is with me and so I am really not going alone. Then I get here and read your post! It made me feel better!

Sherry said...

"This situation happens to us many times through life. Sometimes, we panic that we feel deserted in an unknown place. We feel lost and forgotten about. We can not see any possible way to be delivered through our circumstances. It is at these times we need to remind our self that God knows exactly where we are. He will provide for us in ways we can not see or fathom. We must keep our self from panic and worry by standing firm in trust and faith in God and watch Him work!"

I couldn't say it better than you Tonya....this is exaclty how I am feeling.