Monday, April 19, 2010

Can You Be Trusted?

I hate the feeling of being mad at someone! I try hard not to let anger grow in me but sometimes frustrations can grow into strong feelings of emotion; usually with the face of anger. In my life, those I get the angriest at are those I am the closest too. I wish that wasn’t the case but regrettably it is. Now that my children are grown and out of the house, the only one left behind is Dwayne. Isn’t he lucky? The only thing I hate more than being angry is finding out that the real problem all along; was me!

We spend a good deal of our time learning to trust God? We study diligently all the reasons we can trust God and should trust Him. We learn about the damage we can cause our self if we don’t trust Him. Trust is the cornerstone to our faith. According to the dictionary, trust is having a complete confidence in a person or plan etc. It is a certainty based on past experience, reliance, a confidence, or a commitment. As we learn to trust God, we can easily expect that trust to deliver an easy life for us! We often look at the situations in our life and evaluate if God has broken our trust? Many walk away from God when they think that God did not come through for them: after all, they trusted Him. I think the society we live in that continues to parade before us the fall, the discrepancies, and the sins of those we once trusted; only adds to our self seeking attitude that God has to continually earn our respect. However, so many times when I questioned God on why He allowed something in my life which I did not want nor did I like; I have found out the real issue was not if I could trust God but if God could trust me! Did I walk in the manner I committed? Did I love Him the way I declared? Did I rely totally on Him or did I run to other things to satisfy my wanting heart? Did I stay focused on Him and keep Him a priority in my life like I said I would when I asked Him to become Lord of my life? The real problem was not God, it never has been; it has always been me!
Today’s question isn’t about why you should trust God; He has already given you more reasons than you really need. He has proven that He is trustworthy. The question is can God trust you? Have you proven your trustworthiness? Can God rely on you? Can He have confidence in you? Can He believe what you say? I realize that God doesn't need me for anything. In reality, He only needs to trust Himself because He is the only one that will never fail; never fall short. However, it is still good to focus in spirit on our trustworthiness. Can He trust me to follow through with the things that He ask me to do? Even if I mess up along the way, can He trust me to finish the race? It reminds me of the famous question posed by President Kennedy, “Ask not what your country can do for you; but ask what you can do for our country!” Maybe we should apply that here and say, “Ask not what actions God does to show you that you can trust Him, but ask what actions you do that shows Him, He can trust you?

Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong--then guide me on the road to eternal life.
Psalm 139: 23-24

1 comment:

Steph said...

Oh how I do dislike those moments when you realize that you are the problem. Until recently I didn't like to admit it was me but I am trying to humble myself and admit when I am the problem....unless of course I haven't realized it yet. :-) God is trustworthy and he proves that to me everyday even though I don't deserve it.