Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Are You Wasting Your Time?

     Every Monday morning the employee’s where I work meet 10 minutes before work and have devotion. Three people read a devotion from a book. There is never any elaboration on what was read, just reading. I think it is great that the heart of the people is to focus on God. For some, it is the only time all week they will hear God’s Word. The problem is that after hearing someone read three devotions, one being pretty long, it becomes mundane. I know if you asked me what the devotions were about, I cannot remember what any of them were about. Though I think this is an awesome thing to do in a workplace, I wonder if it would be better to have a single devotion and discuss it. I think it is a waste of time if we are not remembering what we're reading. It becomes just for show or maybe for a temporary fix. Church attendance is a lot like that as well. Some go to a Bible study or a church service to hear a sermon, and on their way home they can’t  remember what the lesson or sermon was about. What then is the purpose?
     We should be actively involved and actively listen; not just hear the words. We need to take notes or find one thing to take from the study and live it out. At least write down one thing you want to put into practice each time. If you are hearing the word, but it's not changing your life, why are you spending the time doing it!
How much time do you spend in Bible study and not remember any of it? What was the topic of the last sermon you heard? What are the top three things you are applying to your life that you learned from studying God’s Word? Commit today to be an active learner and an active doer!

Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go inone ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! 
James 1:22

2 comments:

Steph said...

There are many times that I have shared what I have heard at church or read somewhere. If you don't listen and pay attention you may be missing an opportunity to share God's word.

Sareva said...

I have to confess I was doing well with not complaining (from yesterday's devotion) until my dog pooped in the floor and I caught myself complaining to my husband about it. As soon as I realized, I stopped, but this exercise has made me think about how often I really do complain about unimportant and insignificant things. What a revelation this day has been! I will just have to keep trying to manage my mouth and reserve my words for better things.