Monday, July 18, 2011

He Always Picks Me Up

     Our church in Montana, South Hills, was a fellowshipping church.  We had many great times together.  One winter evening, we were having a progressive dinner.  That is a dinner where you go to a different house for each course. I think I was doing the first course for the dinner. When we were done with the soup, I cleaned up and we left to go to the next house for the next course.  Like most winter nights in Montana, there was snow and thick ice outside.  I was headed to our car when at the last minute we decided to ride with another couple.  I quickly changed my direction and I quickly went down on the ice.  I was laying on the ground behind the car.  My friends were patiently waiting in the car and had no idea where I had gone. Falling on gravel always takes a toll on my body and this time it was my elbows!  I ended up with cut up, bruised up, and scrapped up elbows.  Have you noticed that I always have witnesses to my falls?  Some of you have asked me how I remember all these falls and I have realized that I have probably forgotten the falls I did alone but the ones I tend to remember is the ones I have done in front of others.  I think it is God's way of keeping me humble.
     On a spiritual side, I have fallen many times.  I have let temptation get the best of me and I always end up flat on my face asking God to help me get up.  Some of those sins and falls have been private where only God and myself know about them.  Others have been done in front of or to others.  Those are the ones that I tend to remember the most.  They are the ones that involve the most humiliation. Those are the times I have to ask God to not only help me get up but to help me deal with the embarrassment of having done it in front of others.  Many times it has involved going to somebody and trying to make it right.  It is ironic, I can't remember all the times others have had to apologize to me; but I remember each time I have had to ask forgiveness from others.
     I am so thankful that God is always there to put me back on my feet.  I am thankful that he restores my spirit.  I am thankful He shows me what I must do to make things right when my falls have involved others.
Do you remember your falls?  Do you tend to remember the times you have sinned in front of or to others?  Have you turned to God to pick you up and restore your soul?  If you haven't, it is never too late!

The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
Psalms 145:14

1 comment:

Steph said...

I remember the falls that only God and I know about as well...I am so thankful that we have God's love and mercy. That is something that I don't take for granted.