Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pick a Fight or Seek Peace!

     Well, I have finished all the funny falling stories and I am very thankful that I have not fallen in the last two weeks. I was really worried about having a great finale to these stories. I do want to go back in time though and share two more falls I experienced; both before first grade. However, these two stories are not funny because I was injured in both. The first one was when I was four years old. I loved the neighbor’s big furry dog and would go play with it as often as I was allowed. One day, I was out playing and walking along the sidewalk. (Boy, how times have changed!) As I got close to the neighbors house, I heard growling and barking. My dog friend was in a fight with another dog. I have no memory of who the other dog was or where he came from. All I remember is I felt I had to protect my friend. I went to break up the dogs but as I was running towards them, I fell into the middle of their fight. As they were going for each other, they got a piece of the inside of my left thigh. It was a section about the size of the top section of my pointer finger. It was my first scar and has been a reminder to me to stay away from dog fights.

    It’s not just dog fights that are dangerous. Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a people fight? In the end, the ones who begin the fight are usually not the victims but the ones who jump in to help usually become the victims. One of the hardest lessons I have had to learn as a pastor’s wife is to not take up an offense for others. God gives me the grace to deal with the situations I find myself in. However, I do not get the grace to deal with the situations I am not supposed to deal with. The best thing we can do is to try and seek peace, help others seek peace and avoid quarrels.
      Have you ever found yourself in the middle of another's argument? Did it work out for you? Do you seek peace? Do you do all you can to avoid quarrels? It is not always easy, especially when it involves those you love, but according to Scripture, a person of good character averts quarrels.

Quick-tempered leaders are like mad dogs—cross them and they bite your head off. It’s a mark of good character to avert quarrels, but fools love to pick fights.
Proverbs 20:2-3

1 comment:

Kristie Rhoades said...

Thanks for the reminder. Lets just say I have witnessed several of these instances and the flesh wanted to jump in but I refrained. Thank you for helping me to see the situations through God's glasses rather than the worlds.