Monday, July 18, 2011

Who Trips You Up?

First let me apologize for a week break.  My internet at home has been out and work has been too crazy to post from the office.
    
I am now covering my families favorite stories. Yesterday's was Brittne's favorite story and today's is Dwayne's favorite. So, let me warn you know. . . expect lots of comments from Dwayne! Let me clarify for you the timing of my last two falls. I fell during my progressive dinner and then two days later I fell running around the car. This means I had skinned up elbows and knees; both with nice deep bruises! Two days after my last fall, I was preparing to go out of town to a training conference in Chicago. I had my bags packed with clothes that would cover both my elbows and knees and was spending the morning hanging out with Dwayne before I had to dress and leave for the airport. My kids had left for school. Dwayne was sitting in the recliner right beside the doorway into the living room. I was sitting on the couch across the room. Our family dog was laying in the floor between us and Brittne's cat (which I don't even remember its name; I still am trying to figure out why I ever let her have cat!) was laying somewhere under my feet unbeknown to me (Dwayne: Her surroundings are always UNBEKNOWN to her!)! After keeping an eye on the clock, I declared to Dwayne that I needed to go get ready. I stood and started to move towards the door when I discovered that the cat was underneath my feet. I tripped and was struggling to catch my balance. Our dog, Shem, must have sensed I was in trouble and came to the rescue but she only got in the way of my balancing act and I tripped over her. The last trip did me in and I believe I flew horizontally across the room like Superwoman! Of course it was right towards Dwayne and he had a full view of this scene playing out before his eyes (Dwayne: OMG). Now, to him it looked like I was crawling as fast as I could across the room; but why would I crawl when I wanted to walk? All I know is that I flew until my face plowed into the corner of the doorway. Somehow the impact of this blow flipped me up and backwards and I ended up on my back like I had been dropped from the sky. (Dwayne: She came crawling towards me as fast as she could and just crawled right into the door jam with her head! She then rolled over on her back with "all fours" sticking straight up crying out, yes as always, 'I broke my back!' I was laughing too hard wishing I'd had a video camera.) At this point, I honestly thought I had broke my back. I was very concerned that I was going to have to cancel my trip because at this moment I could not see how I was going to be well enough to make my plane. After laying there around five minutes, the pain subsided and I determined that maybe my back wasn't broken because the pain was shifting from my neck to my face. After the normal words of logic from my husband (Dwayne: Still laughing "You're okay!"), I found the determination within me to get up and make my plane. I took a few pain relievers and went to put on my makeup when I saw my face in the mirror. My cheek was already showing a bruise and it was definitely swollen. Now, I can add my face to my injury list alongside my elbows and knees. I used these injury as blackmail with Dwayne (Dwayne: I never went to jail, people knew her too well!). I told him he had to be extra sweet to me or I could report him for wife abuse! He informed me with my record of falling and the different witnesses that had seen my falls, nobody would ever believe me! He still was extra sweet to me though!

     As I was going through my normal day and when I least expected it, a cat that I didn't care for and a dog that I loved, tripped me up good! As much as I tried I could not recover from their interaction in my walk until I had fallen flat on my back and had to experience the consequences of a few injuries. I have to admit that there have been people in my life that I have learned can trip up my walk with God. Some of them I love and some of them I do not like. Some are not Christians and sadly some are Christians. They are people that can push my buttons and before I know it I respond in a way that is not honoring to God or myself. It is not their fault that I sin, it is my fault for not being aware of their impact on me and for not being on guard against it. Some are people that tempt me and even encourage me to do things I know that I should not be a part of if I want to walk in obedience to God. These people I can care about and pray for but I do not need to socialize with. If they influence me more than I influence them, I need to have boundaries on the time I spend with them.
     Do you have people who can trip up your spiritual walk? Do you know who they are and what impact they have on you? Do you have boundaries to deal with them? Protect your walk with the Lord above everything! Remember, you will protect the things that are important to you!

So leave the corruption and compromise: leave it for good: says God, "Don't link up with those who will pollute you. I want you all for myself."
2 Corinthians 6:17

No comments: