Thursday, May 5, 2011

Let the Wind Blow!

     Last week I was determined to keep struggling to get an exercise routine in place again. I have been trying to run during my lunch hour at work. Driving an almost an hour to and from work is putting a hurdle in my exercise so I need to do it during my lunch hour. I did it for a few days, then I was gone a week and then it was rainy and cold. So, the first day it was sunny, I went for my run. I went 1.6 miles one way and then 1.6 miles back. The problem was the wind. It was like a mini tornado. My first direction was into the wind. I felt like I was running in place. It was the hardest mile I have ever run and probably the slowest mile I have ever run! The return trip was with the wind. I felt like the wind was picking me up and moving me every time I lifted my leg. It also felt as if it was pushing me all the way home. It was the easiest mile I have ever run and probably the fastest!

     In this life we live, we often have whirlwinds that hit us. When the wind works against us, we can grow weary. We wonder if we will ever be able to endure. The finish line seems too far to reach. It can feel that we are working hard and going nowhere. We want the wind to cease.
     Other times, the wind works in our favor. Things just click. Life seems easy and effortless. It is a time of accomplishment and we find extra energy.
     If you were to ask us which way we would rather get the wind; we would choice to have the wind blow with us! However, I remember learning that it is not good for a tree to be tied down to the ground to protect it from the wind because the tree then will grow weak. When the tree endures the stress of the wind it grows stronger.
     Surrender to the wind God allows in your life. Count your blessing when it works in your favor and rely on His wisdom when it works against you knowing it will make you stronger.

That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still! Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
Mark 4:35-41

No comments: