Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It Takes Time

     Ever give yourself a birthday present? I did! For my 47th birthday, I gave myself an achievement I had wanted my whole life. I worked for three months to be able to run a mile: it was actually like a fast jog but in my book it was running! Please understand, it did not happen overnight. It was embarrassing the first time I went out for my new goal achieving run. I would run as far as I could, then I would walk, then run, then walk, until my one mile finish line. What was embarrassing was the fact I could only run about 10 yards before I was sucking air. Then I would walk about 50 yards to catch my breath. Each day I ran a few more steps in my running section, and walk a few less steps in my walking section. Then after seven weeks, I ran my first mile! Now, I can run a 5k distance. That process taught me a lot about endurance. It didn’t matter where I began. As long as I continued running a few steps more each day, I would eventually achieve my goal. Also, I learned that no matter how bad I wanted to be able to run the mile, unless I continued working each day and continued to do a little more each day, I would have never been able to give myself such a great gift.
     Many times we see a Christian person we admire. We are impressed with their faith and their walk with the Lord. However, they did not become strong in their faith overnight. It took learning to walk with the Lord everyday; through valleys, hills, and curves. They endured times of tears and times of joy. When you plant a seedling tree it isn't suppose to be staked down for long. The tree becomes strong by learning to bend with the wind. The more it bends the stronger it becomes. We are like that tree. The more wind we endure the stronger we become. You can not have the results you want if you are not willing to endure the process.
     What goals do you want to achieve spiritually? Are you willing to endure the process? If you are, you will achieve you goal! If you aren’t, you won’t!

So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus.
2 Peter 1:5-8

1 comment:

Steph said...

I remember you working on getting your mile! I went through the same process. I haven't ran in so long I am not sure I could even do it now. I guess is the same with spiritually if you don't keep at it you end up at start all over again. I better start putting in mileage.