Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Support of Friends

     Yesterday, I drove to Nebraska for work. I will be here for a few days. I did something stupid and I paid the price for it while I was driving. I didn’t start out the 12 hour journey well rested! We had an extremely busy weekend. Friday, I left work and went straight to a marriage retreat that we taught. It was a great time that lasted late on Friday night and started early on Saturday morning. When we got home from the retreat, I had one hour to get ready for a formal hospital benefit. Saturday night was a late night and Sunday was church, then a dinner theater that we go to in Tahlequah. We had a visit to make on the way home and we got home about 6:30 p.m. I had to chill for a while, pack for the week, and write Monday’s devotion. I stayed up after midnight and got up before 6:00 a.m. and started my trip before 7:00 a.m. Within two hours, I was dreading my lack of sleep. Right when I felt like I was going to have to pull over at a convenient store to sleep for a few minutes, I hit snow. That was enough to wake me up for a while. As soon as I got through the falling snow, I pulled over and set the alarm for a fifteen minute nap. Five minutes into the nap, I started fighting the need to go to the restroom and within a few more minutes, Brittne called me. She is in a village without internet and the only contact I get with her is a five minute phone call once a week. So, there was no, “call me back in ten minutes!” By the time I talked to her, pumped some gas, went to the restroom, and got something to drink, I was awake enough to be on the road again. I knew I was going to have three dead spots that would be boring enough to challenge my sleepiness. One was between Joplin and Kansas City, one between St. Joseph and Omaha, and between Lincoln and Lexington, which was my final stop. These times actually flew by thanks to many friends and family. We always say that time with friends fly by and I used that to my advantage. I talked to some old friends, and several friends I needed to check in with, I caught up with my son and daughter-in- law, spoke to Dwayne a few times and checked on my mom several times while she was at the hospital with her critical brother. Thanks to all of them, I didn’t have to deal with anymore sleepiness until I hit my hotel room. Once I crawled into my bed, I died. That is why I am up at 5:00 a.m. writing this devotion! Lol
      Have you ever experienced that same exhaustion when it comes to life? Do you have times you thought you can’t function anymore? When we get to that point God is always there to refresh our spirit. However, many times He uses others to give us love and support. There is a great story in the Old Testament that I love and it illustrates this point perfectly. When the Israelites fought the Amalekites , they only won when Moses’s hands were raised. However, his arms would tire and when he dropped them, they would start to lose. Thankfully, Aaron and Hur came along and held up his arms for him. For the entire day, they helped keep his arms raised until victory was theirs. When you are at the point of exhaustion, be willing to let others help you, strengthen you, and love and comfort you. They are messengers from God and never turn them away. I always hate finding out that a friend has been going through a really bad situation and they never told anyone or let anyone help them. We are to carry each others burdens but how can we do that if people refuse to share their burdens or accept help? Will you let others support you in your time of need? Even with the small needs?

Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2

2 comments:

Steph said...

There have been days when I am dead on my feet and I feel that I can not handle one more decision, problem or people any longer and I will check our mail and I will get a card from my mom or best friend and it makes my day seem so much better.

jackie webb said...

This devotion really got me. We, well, actually I, always try to do things for myself. I hate to ask anyone to help me do anything. I had back surgery last week, and I have been told to do NOTHING for 3 weeks! That's like making a child sit in time out forever! The pain has been pretty intense and even after one week, is still high enough on the charts to warrant heavy duty narcotic pain medication!!! My church family has prepared meals for us every night and on through this coming Sunday. I've been so overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and support. But here's what I've been reminded of by their acts of love....If we don't allow others to help us through difficult times....we are robbing our friends of the joy of helping and loving. Why is it so easy to do for others, but so hard for us to allow others to do for us? This is just another amazing lesson our amazing Father has given me.