Friday, February 19, 2010

Weed Out Bitterness!

     I am use to my car being parked in the garage. That means it isn’t covered with ice in the mornings and it doesn’t take long to warm up. However, yesterday my car had to be parked outside in single digit temperature. I could tell my car didn’t like that. It took a long time to warm up and when I drove it, it cried with extra squeaks every time we hit a bump. It was as if it was frozen! My windshield even cracked from the cold! It sounded like the entire glass was going to break.
     It reminded me how brittle things get when it is cold and frozen. I have a jelly filled eye mask that stays cool and feels great on my eyes when I have a headache, it was a Christmas present and I couldn’t wait to use it. When the time came that my eyes needed it, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I looked everywhere for it. Then Dwayne opened the freezer one night and out came my mask; it fell in the floor and broke! It broke right at the nose area! (My mother didn’t know and put it in the freezer) The mask would have never broken if it had not been frozen; it was flexible to be moldable around the eyes.
     These incidents made me think about how brittle and cold our hearts can become. Before bitterness takes residents in them, they are pliable but once hurt and disappointment turns into bitterness, the heart becomes brittle. Brittleness just makes it easier to break. We think it builds walls of protection but in reality it doesn’t protect, it hides the hurt. Bitterness brings nothing good to your soul. God tells us to not let our hearts possess bitterness. Bitterness does not reflect Jesus.
Is there any bitterness in your heart? Lay any bitterness at the foot of Jesus and let your heart become flexible and pliable in the hands of the potter. When clay is brittle, it can’t be molded! It’s time for a heart check.

See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Hebrews 12:15

1 comment:

Steph said...

There have been times that I have been hurt or upset and it has been pent up inside me and turned to bitterness when I didn't even realize. I am laying my worries and bitterness at the feet or our Lord!! I just keep singing.."I'm a work in progress..."