Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Today Determines Tomorrow!

     Today, I taught seven classes in Nebraska on why we should care about wellness and three steps to achieving wellness. The most unique class was at a remote location. It was a county road crew facility. I walked into an old, dirty metal building. It looked more like a car repair shop. After questioning a man in the shop, I was sent into an old, dirty office. When I walked in, I was face to face with four walls of dirty, burly men; all in Cartharts and facial hair of some sort. I wanted to say, “Oh, I am sorry, I have the wrong location!” However, I knew I was going to the talk to the road crew, so I didn’t know what I was expecting. To my surprise, they did not start booing me when I mentioned the word . . . wellness. They actually engaged and asked questions. We ended with the statement, “What you do today will determine your tomorrow!”
When I got back to my hotel room and turned on the Olympics, it wasn’t long until the same philosophy reared its head. Can you imagine an Olympian performing for the first time at the Olympics? When they perform they are demonstrating their years of practice. What they are today is because of what they did yesterday!
     Our Christian walk and faith are also determined by what we did yesterday. If you want to walk firmly on the path God has for you, then you must put your time in today in studying and learning. You will not wake up one day and be the mature Christian you want to be. You will be what you prepare to be today. My lovely daughter- in-law came up with a great quote we can apply: "It is time to stop being a couch potato Christian"! Have you considered what Christian you would be tomorrow because of what you did today? Is that what you want to be? Are you a couch potato Christian? Are you ready to get up and start training for future?

Stay alert; be in prayer, so you don’t enter the danger zone without even knowing it. Don’t be naïve. Part of you is eager, ready for anything in God; but another part is as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire.
Mark 14:38

1 comment:

Steph said...

I am trying not to be a couch potato anything!!!!