Friday, December 10, 2010

How's Your Obedience?

      When I say the word ‘obedience’ what comes to mind? In the world we live in today, obedience isn’t considered as noble as it once was. Many couples take the word ‘obey’ out of their vows. Women are taught to think for themselves and to never obey a husband. Our children are not forced to obey their parents, or their teachers, or actually any person of authority. I think that is because we have lost respect for people in positions of authority. Every day, our children see people we once respected fall into all kinds of scandals. We have seen pastors, policemen, judges, teachers, coaches, bosses, parents, spouses, athletes, politicians, celebrities, and even the president fall big and in a very public manner. Each time we see the public display of the wrongs done by those we admired and respected, obedience becomes more and more diminished in our hearts and our actions. Without respect, obedience is difficult. This is a bad road to go down because the next step is to not respect God and thus not be obedient to Him. We already see this happening.
I must admit, obedience is hard for me. Many people see me as someone who has been obedient to God. I usually end up in the place of obedience but my journey to that spot isn’t what it should be. It seems like I have to stress over it, try every way possible to maneuver another way, argue over it, and be worn down to the point of giving up my desires and listen. At that point, peace enters my heart and soul and I know that if I do not be obedient to God’s direction, I will never experience true happiness and peace. Sometimes obedience means listening to my husband, sometimes it is fixing a relationship that I have damaged, sometimes it is ministering in a new way, sometimes it is moving to a new place, sometimes it is letting go, and sometimes it is doing new things. The bottom line is the fact that if I say that I love and respect God, then I must show it in obedience.
      Mary is a woman of obedience. She amazes me. I so admire her! I do not worship her but I believe she is one of the great examples of what it means to be a follower of God. Mary was approximately 15 years old and was engaged to a man named Joseph. It was what we call an arranged marriage. In those days, being engaged was as binding as being married. You could not just call off an engagement and one was expected to be as devoted and faithful in an engagement as they were in a marriage. I believe Mary was a woman of strong faith. She was a Jewish woman in heart and deed. I believe this for two reasons. God found favor in her and she immediately stood on her faith when she was faced with the impossible. One day, Mary got the surprise of her life. Out of the clear blue, Gabriel, the same angel who spoke to Zachariah and Elizabeth, appeared to Mary. Gabriel greeted Mary and told her that she was highly favored by God and that the Lord was with her. Mary was a little shocked with this greeting and was confused and bewildered. I don’t believe we ever see our self as wonderfully as God does! Gabriel told her she was going to have a son and she was to name Him Jesus. He then proceeded to tell her how great He would be. Mary was even more confused at this information because she was a virgin. Gabriel then said the child would be the Holy One and He would be the Son of God. He told her about Elizabeth so she could see that God does the impossible. Her next response shows how amazing her faith and obedience was to God. She said, “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as You have said.” The angel left and immediately Mary hurried to see Elizabeth. Her first words to Elizabeth was what she probably had been pondering the whole time, “Why me? Why am I so favored? How am I good enough for the Lord to come to me? “ At that moment, John leaped in Elizabeth’s womb for joy. This confirms Mary was with child at this time. It happened at some time between the Gabriel’s visit and John leaping. Elizabeth told her that she was blessed because she believed that what the Lord said would be accomplished!
      Mary wasn’t like me! She didn’t waste time working through the acceptance of God’s will. She accepted before her conversation with Gabriel was over and she immediately went to Elizabeth. How is your obedience? How long does it take you to be obedient? Do you respect God and His authority in your life? Respect and obedience go together!

Luke 1: 26-45

1 comment:

Steph said...

It seems that we always want to rebel instead of being obedient. Maybe because it is something that we don't "feel" or "want" to do. Instead of keeping our hearts open and ready to do God's will when he calls us to it. We can all learn from Mary and willingness and unwaivery acceptance of God's Plan.