Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How Does the Future Make You Feel?

     I want you to search your heart and honestly answer the following question: “If I look into my future, I fear that …” How will you answer? I won’t have money to pay my bills; I will have health problems; I will get hurt again; I will lose my spouse; my children won’t be walking with the Lord; I won’t achieve my goals; or I won’t be happy are many of the fears that many people live with.
     When David declares that ‘surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life’, he was not only boasting in his shepherd but he was declaring a bold statement that he is confident in the sound, sympathetic, intelligent shepherding of his Master! If his Master takes care of all of his needs by providing fresh, still water and luxurious green pastures; if his Master will search endlessly to restore him when he is cast down; if his Master walks through the dangers of the valleys with him; if his Master walks before him and leads him to the mountain tops; if his Master disciplines and protects him with his rod and guides him with his staff, and if his Master protects him from the craziness of flies in the head; then how could he see anything in his life but his shepherd’s endless goodness, love and mercy.
     From a spiritual view, how could you see anything in your life but your Good Shepherd’s endless goodness, love and mercy! Jesus declares that as the Good Shepherd, He gives His life for His sheep. He gave everything for you and me to give us all we need.
     Can you boast in His care or are you going to keep fearing the future?

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters for his namesake. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life . . .
Psalm 23:1-6a

Information taken from the book “A shepherd Looks at Psalm 23” by Phillip Keller

1 comment:

Steph said...

This post is something that I for sure needed to read today. My Bible verse of the day was James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
So it seems that I am getting lots of confirmation that I need to continue to trust Him.