Sunday, December 19, 2010

Who Do You Want to Please?

     Mary isn’t the only one involved in the birth of Jesus who demonstrated obedience. Joseph had his own decision to make about being obedient to God’s direction. We know Joseph was a righteous man from Scripture. We first see that when Joseph chose not to publicly disgrace Mary. I believe it is because he was a man of compassion and he truly loved Mary. Even in his hurt and probably anger, he didn’t want to retaliate against her and he was thinking of her welfare. Then Gabriel appeared to him and told him not to fear taking Mary as his wife. Again, Joseph had a choice to make and he chose to be obedient to God. Yet Joseph was in a bad position. If he chose to divorce Mary, people would have talked and judged them because they would have believed Mary had been with another man when she was engaged to Joseph. If he married her, people will talk and judge him for getting her pregnant before the marriage. They would judge without the facts. Joseph’s obedience came with a sacrifice, like Mary’s. I think we often forget about Joseph's role in Jesus’ birth and life. We need to remember that it was an honor for God to have chosen Joseph to be His son's earthly father. Imagine what it would be like as a father to place your son in the care and leadership of another man. Remember, in your eyes, you would be the only one you could trust and respect. As far as we see in scripture, Joseph lived up to that honor.
     Two lessons that we can learn from Joseph are: 1) To understand that sometimes people are going to judge us without knowing all the details. 2) Pleasing God comes before pleasing people.
These are lessons I am just starting to get a handle on in my own life. I learned early in my life to be a people pleaser. It has been a stronghold I have worked hard to overcome. When I was 18 years old, I had a major life decision. I could be obedient to God, even though it came with a sacrifice, or I could keep pleasing people and make sure I didn’t disappoint those who loved me. Regrettably, I chose to protect my reputation and I chose to please people. It is a decision that has impacted me more than any decision I have ever made. It is one I have regretted each and every day. I wish I had been like Joseph and been willing to be obedient no matter what the sacrifice and no matter what anyone else thought.
    Who do you strive to please? People or God? Have you ever disobeyed God because you were trying to please others? Or have you stood strong and followed God, and let people say what they want to say?


And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took unto him his wife.
Matthew 1:24

3 comments:

Brittne Thompson said...

I think we choose to please men way more often then we should. We often sacrifice our obedience to God because of our selfishness. I respect Josephs decision and pray I can remain obedient in tough situations as he did. Inthe long run we will always be far more blessed when we remain obedient than we would choosing to please men.

Steph said...

I was listening to the radio the other day and they always have the pastor from Asbury UMC with a little blurb thought for the day and he was talking about this exact thing!
I know that sometimes I will catch myself trying to be a people pleaser....it is a struggle.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.