Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Are You Dehydrated?

When we allow ourselves to become physically and spiritually dehydrated we have consequences that we have to live with.

Symptoms of physical dehydration:
· Increase in anxiety, stress, impatience
· Hindered mental ability and performance.
· Going long periods without urinating
· Inability to cry tears
· Wrinkled skin
· Fatigue and drowsiness/ hard to awaken
· Dizziness and confusion; inability to focus
· Increased heart rate and breathing
As we looked at the physical symptoms of dehydration, I believe the same symptoms occur from spiritual dehydration.
· Anxious, stressed, impatient
· Build up of the toxins in our lives
· Inability to cry tears; our heart is hardening
· Stressed appearance
· Exhaustion from life
· Confusion as to direction for life, hard to focus on God, dizziness from busyness
· Increase in tension, decrease in relaxation, no rest in Christ
     In addition, it has been documented that a number of aliments, even “diseases’ can be directly linked to dehydration. Significantly, water can also provide the cure, at times superior to medication. In the book “Your Body’s Many Cries for Water” the following health problems were listed as having a direct relation to the lack of water and which can be helped with proper hydration are:
· Headache
· Stress
· Kidney problems
· High Blood Pressure
· Thirst
· Hypertension
· Cholesterol
· Ulcers
· Higher risk of cancer
· Drinking your 8 glasses of water a day decreases the risk of colon cancer 45%, reduces the risk of breast cancer an incredible 79%, and makes one 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
     At different times in my life, I have experience all of the effects of dehydration, both physically and spiritually. Today, I listen to my body and when I have headaches and I am tired, I know I am not drinking enough water. When I am spiritually dehydrated, I know it because I am anxious, tired of life, hard-hearted, and stressed. By learning to pay attention to my body and soul, I know when I need to drink more water or spend more time talking to Jesus and letting Him fill me. There is a healing power of water for our bodies and there is an amazing healing power of Living Water to our soul. It is mind boggling that we are so out of touch with our need for water. We do not have to live with the symptoms and ailments of dehydration because the cure is so simple. Drink more water!! Be filled with the Living Water.

Jesus answered, "If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water.
John 4:10 (The Message)

1 comment:

Steph said...

It is amazing how you can notice the affects of drinking enough water...feeling refreshed and alive...the same effects from drinking in Jesus our spirit feels that way. After I spend time reading scripture or praying I always feel so revived.