Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Routine is Sometimes Good!!!

     I mentioned that I got out of the habit of daily exercise a year ago when I was told by the doctor that I could not exercise because I could not get hot and sweaty. Before that time, exercise had become a daily part of my day; even if it meant being on the treadmill at midnight! When I got the allergic reaction to the Virginia Creeper, I remember going into a panic when the doctor said absolutely no exercise because I would spread the rash even more. Something in me knew how hard it would be to get it back once I lost the routine. It took me 8 weeks to get over the rash; then it was time for our trip to Peru! Then I tried to get back on track and fell on the treadmill! Then I started back and then pulled a muscle!
     Then . . . then . . . then . . .! Now a year later, the routine never returned! Exercise keeps us physically healthy, helps maintain weight loss, and helps to keep us motivated to eat right. Exercise alone cannot create a healthy weight. It takes discipline in what we consume as well as discipline in exercise.
     This exercise journey is the same as many people’s journey on church attendance. I have seen it over and over through the years. People, who are very regular in attending church, slowly become a family that never attends. It happens when something in life keeps them away for a few weeks, then it is something else, then something else, etc. Satan keeps hitting with the 'something else' until it is not part of their routine anymore. Church helps us maintain spiritual health, it helps us learn what changes we need to make in our lives, and it keeps us motivated to live a spiritually disciplined life through the week. It does not make us good Christians by itself. It takes a daily walk with the Lord as well! However, it has a vital part to our maturity as a child of God!
How is your physical exercise routine? How is your spiritual exercise routine?

Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25

1 comment:

Steph said...

hmmm...Physical exercise: not so hot...I do stay busy and don't sit around a whole lot but not really doing regular exercise.
Spiritual exercise: Could be better, but I am working on that. I understand the "something else" that happens and you don't make it to church. we have weekends where we are out of town and then when we do come back it is usually like 2 or three weekends later because things come up. Something we are really trying to change.