Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thankful for His Promises!

One thing that is hard for me to imagine living life without is hope. Yet so many do. This world has drained any ounce of hope from them. They find themselves with no hope for their marriages, no hope in the good in people, no hope for their finances, no hope for their dreams, no hope for peace in life, and no hope for their soul in death. When they do not live for Christ, they have removed themselves from the source of hope, there is nothing in them to produce hope.
1 Thess 1:3 tells us that hope is "an anchor of the soul," a staying amidst the storms of this life. Without the anchor you are tossed to and fro, with desperation not hope. How can anybody have hope aside from Christ and how can anybody with Christ live without hope. They go hand in hand.

Hope is defined by the world as a feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. A Biblical definition is a 'favorable and confident expectation'

God is the author, not the subject of hope. In Romans 15:13 God is spoken of as "the God of Hope".

We can have hope because we can stand on God's promises. God's promises teach us what we can expect, what we can hope in. Are you letting the cares of this world weigh you down or are you putting your hope alone in Jesus Christ and His promises? What promises are you holding on to? What is your favorite promise?

My favorite promise is from Hebrews 13:5-6

I will not in any way fail you , nor give you up, or leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless, nor forsake, not let you down. Relax my hold on you, assuredly not!!!

One of my favorite thing about this promise is the fact that God has a hold on me. So many times I see myself as grasping on to God for dear life, but I don't have to do that. I can rest in the fact that He has a hold on me and He will not relax it!

I am thankful for the God of hope, the God of promises, and the God that holds on tight to me!

No comments: