Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful for His Provision of Food

We are two days from Thanksgiving and I will bet that in some way you have had to think about food. We automatically think about two things during this holiday. One is giving thanks, the other is food! It seems that food is a part of every advertisement during November, whether TV or magazine. You probably have been planning on what you are going to cook, where and when you are going to eat it. Not only do you have Thanksgiving Day to prepare for, you probably have a potluck dinner at church, work, or with other groups of friends and family. I have had a potluck at church, I have a potluck today at work and I am cooking for 10 on Thursday. Well, actually I am cooking for around 30 but there is only 10 of us that is going to eat it! It is ridiculous that I can not serve a ‘one meat, one salad, one vegetable, one potato, rolls, one dessert, dinner. Most of us will experience an abundance of food on this day of giving thanks. I have to admit, I do not know how I feel about this. In scripture we see both feast and famine. Is there anything wrong with abundance when we know there are people who are wanting? Would skimping on the food help or make a difference? How did we get to the point where we show our thankfulness for God’s provision by pigging out on food until we are stuffed and miserable? What about all the food we end up throwing away because it gets wrapped up as leftovers, put in the fridge to mold, and then thrown away without any guilt because we are now throwing away rotted food. I wonder how many people we could feed with the food thrown away on Thanksgiving Day? I do not ever remember missing a meal because I did not have any food! I am very thankful for that and for the fact that God has provided me with food that provides nutrition and strength to my body. To be a good steward of God's provision to me, I am going to enjoy all the food but I am not going to eat so much that I am miserable. I am going to make sure that I do not throw out any food, I will eat it until it is gone or I will freeze it, or I will give it away. What do you need to do to show your thankfulness and being a good steward of God’s provision of food?

He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. He also who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he give thanks to God…
Romans 14:6a

2 comments:

Sara Rose said...

I think this Thanksgiving I will bring up the reason for the season. The reason we all get together. The reason we all have each other. I think I will bring up that the one true God is the reason we can give thanks to the food and to each other.

Steph said...

This year for Thanksgiving my mom and I cut a branch and made leaves out of paper and attached a ribbon through each leaf. We are asking each family memeber to write one thing they are thankful for and put their name on the leaf so that we will have a tree of Thankfulness!!! Right now the tree looks dead but it will look as if it is spring with all the paper leaves on it. I am not sure what I will write on my leaf yet....I am thankful for so many things. I will say that I am often thankful that I do not have to go hungry. Recently I volunteered with my Alumnae Kappa Phi sisters at a food bank. It was a very humbling and wonderful experience and made me realize how blessed I was.