Friday, November 13, 2009

Thankful for His Patience

The other day, I told you about my allergic reaction I had from a weed that grows in my garden. It is called Virginia Creeper. It is very frustrating to me that for the third time this weed has affected me. Each allergic reaction has been progressively worse. I am very aware of my allergy to this weed and I try to avoid it at all cost. This time it looked different because it was dead. I was concentrating on the project and just didn't notice it. Now I have paid the price for five days. My face has been almost unrecognizable. It is so weird to look in the mirror and not see me looking back. I have had blisters on my face and arms. Then I did something stupid again. I was trying to get out of the door as fast as possible to get to the doctor and I picked up the first bra and jeans I spotted laying in the corner of my bedroom. When I started breaking out on my bra line and my pantie line, I realized then I had put on the clothes I wore while I was in the garden! Now, I really am itching everywhere! The itching has brought me to a point where I thought I was loosing my mind. All I wanted to do is scratch and remove every inch of itching skin. Why do we think the pain is better than the itching? I've been taking steroids but they have been working very slowly. To top it off, this was an unusual week. I had tickets to three different performances, on three different nights. I had to choose to stay home and hide or learn a new level of humility and go to the shows. I chose to attended the performances. I was embarrassed for anyone to see me so I kept my head down and tried not to bring any attention to myself. I also had to return to work and today, I had to meet a new customer. I have a new level of commitment to never get close to this weed again. I do not want to experience this for a fourth time! I can't imagine it being any worse but the pattern says it would be.
Do you have some weeds in your life? The sins or habits that you know affect you negatively. It may be things you try and avoid but they catch you off guard and before you know it, they are bringing you pain and discomfort. They can drive you crazy! You look in the mirror and wonder who is looking back at you. It embarrasses you. You do whatever is necessary not to bring attention to yourself . You feel so stupid for getting back in the spot you have been before. The recovery takes time and effort. You ask yourself over and over, "Why didn't I pay more attention and not touch this 'weed'".
I am thankful that God is patient with us and He gives us second, third, fourth and more chances. However, I believe our consequences are worse each time until we become committed to avoiding the sin ,which brings us so much pain. The best way to avoid the pain is to ask God to remove whatever 'weeds' you find in your life. Let Him pull them out, roots and all!

"...Get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humble acccept the Word planted in you, which can save you!
James 1:21

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Remember the retreat we did that involved the Garden theme(wasn't that the year I was pregnant with Grace).....I will never forget how the Lord showed me that in my very weedy garden their was one weed that was bigger and stronger and harder to pull than all the others....it wrapped itself around every other "weed" in my life.....I called it "self-reliance"...it involves pride mostly with a little shot of self-centeredness thrown in for good measure....The Lord still brings that to mind....that's the thing with weeds....they come back...but if you pull them long enough and consistently enough....they stop spreading, growing.....and eventually, over time....they are gone! When I get to heaven....I will finally have a weed free life:)