Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just Laugh

Yesterday, I told you one of my weaknesses, today I will make another confession. If you know me well, you already know it. I am a blundering klutz; both physically and verbally. Sometimes it's not anything I do or say, it's just the situations that I get myself into. Some people think I should write a blog on my comical experiences but I would rather talk about the Lord! Dwayne has a habit of just shaking his head at me and saying, “only you Tonya, those things only happen to you”! Well, I had one of those special times this morning. I started a new medicine (after the hormonal meltdown, I told you about) and I was warned that the side effect of it was difficulty sleeping. I dismissed that warning because I can sleep anytime, anywhere. Well, that was a mistake. Sure enough, I haven’t been able to sleep soundly for several days now. It’s like my body sleeps but my mind doesn’t. When the mind follows the body to sleep, it dreams really weird things. When I roll over or I am stirred, my mind instantly becomes totally awake. I have to lay there with my dead body, clearing my mind so it will go back to sleep. To help my chances of undisturbed sleep, I slept on the couch last night. Around 5:00 AM, I decided to go to the bed for my last couple hours of sleep. I slipped into bed and instantly our two puppies came to me and snuggled in. Well, one snuggled, the other one just wanted to give me kisses. I finally got her settled and started to go back to sleep when I heard this weird sound. We have a sleep number bed and my side of the bed was slowly deflating and the controller wasn't working. Great! I thought about going back to the couch but I was too tired and my down comforter felt too good. I just decided to snuggle in myself and endure. Then the snuggle dog started snoring. I rearranged her, got her quiet, and started the process of clearing my mind of a thousand thoughts to hopefully get to sleep. Then the little hyper dog started biting her leg, vibrating my bed, which now is more like a recliner from the deflation. After a few pats on the rear, she figures out that I want her to be still. It is now getting close to 5:45 and now I have just lost another hour of sleep, but I have one more hour and everything is calm. I started my relaxing process once again and just about the time I start to doze off, Dwayne starts snoring. Not the loud kind, but just the quiet snore that is distracting my mind. So, I regressed to my normal reaction of taking my leg and reaching it over as far as I can stretch and give him a firm but loving little kick. It worked, like it usually does, and I was back to my goal of going to sleep. Once again, for what seemed the hundredth time, I was pulled away from my goal of going to sleep. Dwayne started snoring again! This time I was not the only one hearing it, the hyper dog started growling at the noise she was hearing. I grabbed her and got her quiet. The snoring continued. I tried to ignore it, really I did, but then before I knew it my mouth hollered the name of my wonderful husband (remember he edits this). DWAYNE!!! At that stupid mistake the hyper dog jumped up and ran over to him. I just laid there hoping that the hyper dog would bother Dwayne enough to keep him quiet and I could get at least 30 minutes of sleep. After a few minutes, I could feel my body going to lala land but I guess between my kicking and hollering at Dwayne and the hyper dog messing with him, he decided to get up. When he gets up, the morning ritual begins and again my sleep goes on hold. He wakes up the puppies, let them stretch while he rubs their bellies, gets them up to take them out to potty and then brings them back to get in bed with me. Soon, I had little cold feet and noses touching me. At this point I really wanted to yell and have a little fit, but I wanted that last 20 minutes of sleep more, so I just laughed. As I laid there thinking about the events that had taken place over the last two hours, it really was funny. I nestled into my new cocoon of a bed, with my adorable puppies and my comforter and enjoyed the last precious minutes of sleep. Of course, when I got up to get ready the puppies were now tired and stayed in bed. Some days it would be great to be a dog!
We will continuously have times we must choose to laugh, cry, or yell! I have learned the hard way that laughing is the best choice. If I would have started the day yelling at Dwayne, for something that wasn’t his fault, we would have ended up in an argument and my day would have been ruined. If I just stepped out of the situation for a moment, it really was funny, why not just laugh and accept it. Sometimes, I believe God has a sense of humor and watching me when I choose to laugh, makes Him smile! Next time you have one of those situations, instead of getting mad, laugh! It’s good medicine!

A cheerful heart is good medicine
Proverbs 15:30

1 comment:

Sherry said...

yup.....and most things are funny....