Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thankful for the Mender of Broken Hearts!

Saturday, I worked outside cleaning out an overgrown garden. It was full of dead weeds, grass, and plants. My mother and I worked hard digging into the ground to pull up all the roots. I was so happy to get this project done. Well, until Monday, when I started breaking out on my arms and face. There is this weed that grows in one flower bed that I'm allergic too. I have broken out a few times before but never like this. I usually avoid that weed at all cost. However, with everything dry and dead, I just didn’t see it. Then this morning my face and wrist are covered with blisters, swelling, and redness. My face was so swollen I didn't even look like myself. The pain and itching drove me CRAZY. I wanted relief and I wanted it NOW! I could not get to the two doctors that I use so I went to a friend who is a doctor and got some meds. I wanted them to work instantly, but not going to happen. I am trying to wait patiently but the pain has been unbearable at times, mainly from it wearing me down for 24 hours.
Have you ever been going along living life and then something that you tried to avoid just hit you hard? It brought pain and suffering, and brought you to a desperation for help? Your heart is breaking and you just need relief. You think you will never endure such a hurt. Everything about you feels different. Recently, a friend was feeling like this when divorce hit her. She tried everything to keep it from happening, but it did. She is now brokenhearted and she has to recover. She is seeking God and she believes Him for His promises! She told me, “I couldn’t deal with the pain anymore. I do pray God restores it all as I know He will. I was praying in my room, my face down on the floor with praise music on and told God “if you are close to the broken hearted then I know you are with me''". Good for her, that she ran to God and stood firm on His Word. I know she wants instant relief from the pain and suffering but God is showing Himself faithful to her and God is using that to draw her near Him so he can mend that broken heart.
I am so thankful that God does care if we are broken hearted. He never walks away and He is the only who one can mend our heart. When was the last time you were face down on the floor pouring your broken heart out for the Lord’s mending? I can assure you, if you could see my heart where Christ resides, you would see many scars. Those scars are from the times I have had my heart broken. With each scar, you would see the stitches of love sown by my Heavenly Father, mending it all back together. With every one of those stitches, I thank God for tender, compassionate love.


If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there; If you’re kicked in the gut, he’ll help you catch your breath.
Psalms 34:18 (Message
)

4 comments:

Steph said...

I read a story once about an old guy who had a heart that looked like an old patch work quilt and someone came and offered him a brand new heart with no patches or seams. He said that he would not give up that heart because each of those patches were part of him and they all represented something in his life. I feel the same way I am sure that my heart has patches and scars but those are a part of me. And those imperfections are things that God has helped me through. I remember the first time I was heartbroken to where I cried out for God to ease the pain. It was my first real experience with death; my grandpa had died. I was having such a hard time and I couldn't sleep and I just remember praying over and over, please Lord just help me sleep and help my hurting heart. Shortly after that I felt calm and and I started to drift to sleep, it felt as if someone was laying there with me.

Candy Lyman said...

Several years ago I went thorough a rough time in my life. I was broken hearted and thought that I would rather God take me home then to stay on earth and feel the heart ache. I indeed prayed that he would take me home, but the Lord had other plans for me.
I spent weeks on end isolating myself from the world and letting my mind and emotions run wild. Left with no other choice but to get on my face and trust God for my situation and life, did he start my restoration. I can only thank my Lord for staying close and sending me his comforter.
Looking back I can say thank you Lord for your faithfulness and the strengthening you have done in my life. I am now without a doubt strengthened in my weak spot.
No one will ever be more important in my life than my Lord and Saviour.
I would never give up going through that time knowing how much it has blessed me.
At the time it sure didn’t feel that way, but I now am able to share with others that are facing some of the same things I did and give hope.

kathleen said...

I have been recovering from a terrible trauma for the last 5 years, and I don't know how anyone could go through such a difficult time without knowing God was right with me to comfort me when I was so hurt and confused and afraid. Those days and nights when I was only able to cry out to God, I KNEW HE was there. I wasn't alone in my grief and loss of what my life used to be. I was still safe even though my world had been shaken to the depths of my being. Thank GOD.. HE...the God who created me...the God who gave His life for me...the God who could heal me...the God who loved ME was there and I wasn't alone!!!!

Sherry said...

I love Steph's word picture of the patchwork heart. It is all a part of the story. The joy, the disappointments.....the heart broken moments....that eventually come back around to peace and joy. It makes us who we are.....and I know that it is an overuse quote but I love it anyway..... "what doesn't kill you , makes you stronger"