Sunday, March 13, 2011

Live for Today

     When I married Dwayne, we would sit and talk about our future together. We talked about where we would travel, how many kids we would have, and what it would be like to be old and sit in rocking chairs on the front porch. He promised to love me for the rest of his life and to grow old with me. He has done a great job loving me and the fulfillment of those promises aren't far away! It was great talking about our future life together and future love with each other. His promise to love me to those rocking chair days, alone; was not enough . Promising to love me in the future was wonderful but I needed more! I needed his love every day to the future! I have to say that I have been blessed that he has fulfilled my needs since he first told he loved me in January of 1977. However, if all he would have done was promise me love when we were old, it would have never worked.
     You may think that illustration is ridiculous because nobody would promise to love and take care of you when you are old and not love you before. However, how many times do we do that to God? As I was singing one of my favorite songs in church one Sunday, I started noticing the words. It was all about loving and worshiping God in Heaven and it got me thinking. How many times do we say that in Heaven we will fall on our face in the presence our Lord but we have never fallen on our face here when we feel his presence? How many times do we say that we will sing praises to Him forever in Heaven but we do not joyfully sing praises to Him on Sundays or throughout the week for that matter? How many times do we say that we will serve Him for all of our days in eternity but we do not serve Him today? Our actions should show that we love Jesus, now! Heaven is not the beginning of our worship to Jesus, it is the fulfillment of our worship to Jesus. We do not have to wait until Heaven to feel His presence, He lives with us so we should be able to feel his presence now !
Are you loving God now? Or are you focusing on loving Him in Heaven? Do you praise Jesus now? Or are you going to wait until you praise Him in Heaven? When we talk about our worship of the Lord, we should definitely 'live for today!'

So come, let us worship: bow before him, on your knees before God, who made us!
Psalm 95:6

3 comments:

Sara said...

I agree. We should fall on our faces and sing at the top of our lungs for Jesus everyday!

Steph said...

I actually do sing my praises to Jesus everyday. I usually sing songs from church in the shower!
:-) He is worthy of our praise and so much more!

Sherry said...

amen!