Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Secret Blessing

    We all have heard that it is better to give than to receive! I have been on both ends: I have received and I have given.  When a person gives a gift to me, it touches me. I experience the love in which it was given and it is truly a blessing. There have been a few times we have received a special gift from a nameless giver. I have to admit, I struggle with it. Who do I thank? Who can I attribute my gratitude and love too? Who loved me so much they saw and met a need?
     Also, I love meeting a person’s needs. I love seeing them happy and feeling blessed. I love it when they hug me and when they feel loved by me! Then I get love returned and we are all happy. There has been a few times I have forced myself to give anonymously.  I must say, it doesn’t feed my personal emotions quite the same. I don’t get any glory, I don’t get any feeling of pride, I don’t get any praise, and I don’t get any credit! It all goes to God!
     Isn’t that how it is suppose to be? When I give or when I receive anonymously, then the giver is taken out of the picture. The only thing you can say is God moved in someone's heart and He provided through that person. He gets the love, He gets the gratitude, and He gets the glory! Our life should be lived that way but our own need for emotional connection to others and the need to glorify ourselves get in the way.
     Every day we have to surrender self and stop fighting God for the glory which belongs only to Him. Today lets practice letting God get of all the glory by doing something for someone and doing it anonymously. Lets let God shine instead of us.

“When you do something for someone else, don’t call attention to yourself. You’ve seen them in action, I’m sure—‘playactors’ I call them—treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that’s all they get. When you help someone out, don’t think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out."
Matthew 6:2-4  (The Message)

1 comment:

Steph said...

When Jared and I bought our house we didn't have a stove, refrigerator or a dishwasher. We managed to come up with the money to get the stove and refrigerator but not the dishwasher. We had never had one before so we figured we would be fine and just save up for one. Someone felt led to give us the money. I have no idea who that person was....still drives me crazy when I think about it. But we made a thank you note out and gave it to Dwayne to pass along. We were completely touched that someone was led to do that. It was rough not being able to thank someone specific and show our gratitude but it was a God thing and we were so thankful. I do like giving anonomously. I like to see the people be happy and know that someone cared or was thinking of them. It is enough to know that they were happy and I don't want the praise.