Monday, March 7, 2011

Don't Do It Alone

As I have stated before, I have worked at eating healthy and becoming fit for almost four years now! Wow . . . four years! My goal weight has not been achieved thanks to the aging process but I am moving in the right direction. My first 18 months was easy, I was a wellness manager in my career and I had to live it every second. Then I went to a job that it wellness was played with but there was no commitment. Funny thing is that described a growing attitude within me and I started gaining weight. I was eating right but eating too much and had too many special occasions. I also had become bored with exercising myself all the time. However, I hated exercising with other people, usually way younger people, because I compared my achievements with what they could do and I wasn’t happy with myself. Then when I had a medical problem and couldn’t exercise for two months, the habit was broken. I exercised every week but not necessarily hard exercise and not every day. I went from never having an excuse to having a wide range of them.

     Two weeks ago, a great blessing occurred in my journey. Dwayne got his weight down to where he wants to work out with me! I have wanted this for a long time. I have nagged him for a long time. Yet, in his own timing, he was ready. Now when I would use my excuses, he gets me up going. When I am tired after work and driving from Tulsa and I want to veg out on the couch; he is waiting for me to exercise. After we are down, we get out showers and cook dinner and enjoy our evenings quilt free.
      Though I could walk my journey alone for a while, there came a point where I needed encouragement. I needed companionship. I needed a ‘we’ factor instead of an ‘I’ factor. This is the same for our spiritual journey. We can walk it alone for a while, but there comes a point where we need encouragement. We need companionship. We need others to care and feel a part of a family.
     Are you trying to walk through this life alone? Is everything private? Let yourself become connected to another Christian or to a body of believers. Share your struggles with a Christian friend. Pray together. Become a part of a home group or Sunday School Class. Don’t walk life’s journey alone?

Stoop down and reach up to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens and so complete Christ’s law. If you think you are too good for that you are badly deceived.
Galatians 6:2-3

1 comment:

Steph said...

I will say that starting home group (even though only for about a month) has been good for me. I enjoy hearing other peoples testimonies and listening to thier life experience and know that sometimes I am not the only one that is or has feeling/felt that way. Listening to others and there applying to stories in the Bible has made me realize that the issues we deal with today are not new....they have been issues forever!