Thursday, November 18, 2010

Got to Go Through the Valley

     We are finally to the part in Psalm 23 that makes it very popular for funerals. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I will not fear.” Though death could be a part of our valley experience, it includes so much more.
     A shepherd moves their sheep to different fields by seasons of the year. In winter, they are home with the shepherd. In the spring they work their way through the valleys to get to the high ground. Summer is spent feasting on the mountain tops, and as the snow begins to fall, with autumn comes the journey home.
    The spring journey, through the valley can be a long trip. The sheep move along slowly, feeding as they go, gradually working their way up the mountains behind the receding snow. Though the valley provides lush foliage and great springs and rivers, it presents many dangers as well. Rampaging rivers in the spring thaw, avalanches, rock slides, poisonous plants, predators that raid the flock are many of the dangers. Since the valley is between highlands, they are often dark or dim by the cliffs and the predators stock the sheep from these cliffs. Another danger is spring snow storms. And yet, though these valleys are filled with dangers, the sheep are calm. Their needs are being met abundantly and they are with their shepherd day and night. What do they have to fear?
     In the Christian walk, we tend to want to live on the mountain top. We want to get beyond the shallow relationship with the Lord and move into a more intimate walk with God. Every mountain has its valleys and we must walk through them to get to the mountain top. Sooner or later we discover that it is in the valleys of our lives that we find refreshment from God Himself. It is not until we have walked with Him through some very deep troubles that we discover He can lead us to find refreshment in Him right there in the midst of our difficulty. Let us not fear dark and distressing (valley of the shadow of death) days of our life because we are close to the shepherd during those days.
     The basic question is not whether we have many or few valleys. It is not whether those valleys are dark or merely dim with shadows. The question is how do I react to them? How do I go through them? How do I cope with the trials that come my way?
     With Christ I can face them calmly. With my Shepherd leading me, I can face them fearlessly!

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures,
      he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness
      for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
      for you are with me;
Proverbs 23:1-3



Information taken from the book A shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller

1 comment:

Steph said...

I have had lots of hard times lately and it seems that when I am at the point when I feel like I can't handle things and I need Him most He comforts me.