Friday, November 19, 2010

Tools of the Trade

     As parents, we had several main responsibilities: to protect, to discipline, and to guide. At times these responsibilities were not easy to do. Our Heavenly Father does the same for us. He protects and disciplines us with His Word and He guides us with His Holy Spirit. Have you ever experienced following a scriptural principle and having it keep you out of a mess? Or maybe you are like me and you learn it from another approach; have you NOT followed scripture and ended up in a real mess? Have you then heard or read scripture that convicted you because you weren’t being obedient? The guiding of the Holy Spirit in my life is one thing I cannot imagine not having as I try and grow spiritually. Though at times they bring out many feelings in me, I find great comfort in God’s protection, His discipline, and the Holy Spirit’s guidance.
     A shepherd had two necessary pieces of equipment. He had a rod and a staff. A rod was carved out of wood. It was like a stick with a ball on the end. Young shepherd boys would practice for years to be efficient at throwing their rod; they even had competitions on rod throwing. The rod is the tool that was used to keep predators from the sheep when the shepherd couldn’t move fast enough. He would see a predator approaching his flock and throw the rod at him and hit him with this ball of wood and the predator was either dead or it would scurry away. At times, the shepherd would use the rod to discipline his own sheep when they would fight. In my lingo, it is the shepherd’s belt that he uses to spank his sheep! Spiritually the rod is a symbol of God’s Word. It is the Word of God that protects me and disciplines me.
     We all know what the staff looks like. A staff is used only by a shepherd. You do not see any other profession using a staff. It is simply a long hook. The shepherd uses it to guide his sheep along the chosen path. He uses it to bring lambs back to their mothers. He even uses it to sweep up lambs out of the water, or to keep a sheep from going over a cliff or off in their own direction. It is what keeps his flock together. Spiritually the staff is a symbol of the Holy Spirit, guiding us as we live the Christian life.
     I have seen the Great Shepherd use the rod and staff in my life more times than He probably wishes. His rod has protected me from harm and it has hit me upside the head a few times. He has used his staff to guide me and pull me back in. I love the care He gives me with His rod and His staff. I trust them totally and it comforts me to know that He is looking out for my best. I would not want to go a day without them.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:1-4


Information taken from the book A shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller

1 comment:

Steph said...

This post reveals to me how much God is really like a father to us. Reprimanding us and guiding us to where we need to be. He does know best whether we feel that way or not. His way is the best way.