Thursday, November 11, 2010

What Bugs You?

     We have two adorable dachshunds and we take care of Brittne’s miniature sheltie. We love our dogs very much but summers drive us crazy. Living in the country, it seems we can’t control the fleas. One of our dachshunds is allergic to fleas and her skin turns bright red where her hair is thin. The fact that their bellies almost touch the ground when they walk probably doesn’t help. The shelties coat is so thick fleas love to hide in his coat. It is hard to see them uncomfortable and scratching all the time when the fleas are winning the battle.
     Sheep have the same problem. They are acceptable to several kinds of flies and ticks which can torment them. Imagine how thick a sheep’s wool is: ticks would love it. There is no way for sheep to rest or lie down with these distractions and irritations. They constantly shake, move, or hide from the parasites.
     A good shepherd watches over his flock daily and at the first sign of parasites, he takes action. He uses oils and chemicals to rid these from his sheep. He moves them to bushy areas where the flies don’t follow. He does not allow his sheep to become stressed, irritated, or pure crazy with torment from parasites. He removes the problem and gives them rest.
     Life brings us many irritations. It is difficult to go to work every day and not have someone or something irritate you; and usually it is the same person or the same situation. I do not often respond Christ like. I seem to handle a crisis better than I handle an irritation! However, if the irritations are getting the best of us then we are not allowing the Holy Spirit to handle the situation or handle us.
     The Holy Spirit brings me to the presence of Jesus, my Good Shepherd. He brings quietness, calmness, serenity, and strength in the midst of irritation and frustration. When we take everything that bugs us to Jesus and focus on His presence, our response will change. We need to acknowledge that our situation is beyond our control, that we are totally irritated and frustrated, that we are bugged to no end, and we can’t cope or rest. We need to give Him control! Then His Spirit will wash over us His peace and calmness and before we know it, His soothing presence brings us to a place of quiet contentment. I am then able to lie down in a peaceful rest because He is in control of my parasites and of me.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures...
Psalm 23:1-2a

Information taken from the book A shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller




1 comment:

Steph said...

I get this "irritation" at work. Sometimes people just drive me bananas. Usually I come to my desk take a deep breath and say "breath in God and breath out all that is not Him"......