Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Need An Oil Bath?

      I finally get to share the story that lead me to go through Psalm 23 with you. I was once again watching the show ‘Emergency’. A lady came into the ER and she was literally going crazy. She didn’t make sense, wouldn’t hold still, and continued to scream that she had bugs in her head. Several doctor’s had chalked her behavior up to a mental situation. They were contemplating admitting her to the psyche unit. Then as the doctor was examining her, he noticed a worm coming out of her head and then it went back in to the scalp. The doctor was able to remove several long worms that had embedded, hatched, and grown in the woman’s scalp! Immediately, when the worms were removed, her sanity returned.
   That episode reminded me about what happens to sheep when they get nose flies. These flies fly into the sheep’s nose, maneuvers itself into the head and literally drives them crazy. The sheep will beat its head on trees or rocks trying to relieve the torture and when all else fails, they run off the cliff for permanent relief. The shepherd prevents nose flies by rubbing oil on the sheep’s head. It works like a repellent and keeps the flies away from the sheep’s nose.
      “I am going crazy!”, “I feel like I am beating my head on a rock!”, “I feel like jumping off a cliff!” are all comments we make when our thoughts are tormenting us! Our thoughts are like nose flies and Satan is the one that shoots them our way. However, Jesus, our Good Shepherd, tells us to take every thought captive and measure it up by obedience of Christ. The Holy Spirit is our oil and He helps us evaluate our thoughts, dismiss the ones that are not of God, and develop discipline in our thinking.
     Do you have some out of control nose flies that are driving you crazy? Is it time to let Jesus oil you down with the Holy Spirit. Give up your mind torturing thinking for the peace of mind that comes from staying under the control of your Good Shepherd!

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me. He prepares a table before my enemies. He anoints my head with oil.
Psalm 23:1-5

Information taken from the book “A shepherd Looks at Psalm 23” by Phillip Keller

No comments: