Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Power of Words

      Every day I speak an average of 16,000 words. That is about 1,000 words per hour which means that I speak an average of 5,840,000 a year. In addition, it means that I have spoke 287,648,000. It saddens me to think how many of those words had value? If only 1% of them had value, I would have spoken 2,876,480 meaningful words. Isn't that astonishing?Isn't that scary? I wish I knew what they were so I could say them all over again to someone else. I can be sure of one thing though. If I spoke any words of wisdom, which were meaningful and had value, they came from Jesus. I could not have rendered any wisdom on my own. Sometimes I wonder if flooding others with a tsunami of words does not devalue all the words. Some of the people I respect the most are people that say few words but when they do, they are powerful! This is something I wish I would practice more. Though both my spiritual gift and my personality depend on a considerable amount of words, I need to be aware of the power words can possess.
     It always amazes me when a person I do not remember, tells me how some words, I don’t even remember saying, has blessed their lives. Nothing is more humbling. I only pray that there is not a person, whom I do not remember, who has been impacted negatively with words I do not remember saying!
     Jesus is again the perfect example for us. Only four books in the entire Bible have words spoken directly by Jesus. His recorded words are few in light of a three year ministry, but they are powerful. I do not believe He ever spoke meaningless words. Also, I do not believe that anyone has ever come close to speaking words with as much power as Jesus did.
     Do the words you speak have meaning and value? Are they an encouragement? Do they show love, kindness, grace, praise, etc.? Are they a reflection of Jesus? How many words have you wasted? Let’s try hard to use our words to be a ministering spirit among those who we communicate with!

Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.
Proverbs 18: 21 (The Message)

1 comment:

Steph said...

Seeing as how I am a BIG talker this is something I also have to work on...along with the tone that I speak my words. :-)