Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Remember You Commitment

    Almost 24 years ago Dwayne and I stood before our church body and committed our daughter to the Lord. It was a special and memorable day. When we repeated the words of commitment given to us, we said them to the Lord, and from that day forward we were responsible to live by them. God reminded me of that commitment when my daughter got on a plane and flew to the other side of the world; the bottom half. Her journey was going to be for 24 months and the end of that time is less than two months away. Most of it has been easier than expected thanks to technology and Skype, but there have been some really hard days. When I pick up the phone and hear her on the other side crying it is heart wrenching. Not just because she is hurting but because I cannot be with her and comfort her with hugs, food, or a little shopping. I have had to learn what it truly means to put your child into the hands of God. Maybe I should reword that. She is in God’s hands regardless of whether or not I put her there. I should say; I have learned to trust God totally to meet her needs since she is in His hands and not mine! Today, will be one of those days I will need to stand on that truth. My baby turns 24 years of age today! She is in a remote village, away from her friends, away from her family, and away from her boyfriend. There is no technology substitute this time because the internet is pitiful in this village and all she can do is chat with typing. I will be able to type Happy Birthday but there will be no visual or audio aide with those words. It will be the loneliest birthday she has ever experienced. However, she is in the Lord’s hands and I believe He will comfort her in a miraculous way. His presence is with her and how can His presence be anything but amazing!
     It has done my heart good to have an example of another woman to encourage me. That is why the scriptures are such an awesome gift to us from God. In 1Samuel we learn about a woman who yearned for a child, to the point of begging God, in one of our woman crying meltdowns. God heard her desperate plea. During her pleading she made a deal with God, like we all do. However, He knew her heart was pure when she made her deal, because He gave her a son: Samuel. To keep her word with God she took her son at three years of age to the temple and left him there, only to see him very seldom. When I want to complain about my 22 year old daughter leaving for 2 years, I think of Hannah and I stop complaining.
     Have you ever made a commitment to God?  Did you keep your word?  Aren’t you glad God is faithful to keep His!

Hannah said, “Excuse me, sir. Would you believe that I’m the very woman who was standing before you at this very spot, praying to God? I prayed for this child, and God gave me what I asked for. And now I have dedicated him to God. He’s dedicated for life.” Then and there, they worshipped God.
1 Samuel 1:26-28

No comments: