Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pull Your Weeds!

     Summer time is something we look forward too for nine months of the year but when it comes in full force, we start to change our minds. Here in Oklahoma the heat index has been over 100 degrees for days. It makes it really hard for me to want to do a summer chore that I hate, but when I ignore it, it just gets worse and worse: it is weeding! Not only is it hard for me to find the time, but it is hard to find time without it being during the time that I would be attacked by heatstroke before the weeds would die from an attack from me! In addition to that, I now have to worry about touching something that would create another allergic reaction. My dream garden would be one that matured to the point of filling in the complete garden, beautiful plants would choke out all the weeds, and an automatic watering system that does not depend on me in any form or fashion! There is only one of those that I have a chance of getting and that is my garden to mature and take over the whole garden though I do not know if the weeds will ever be choked out. When I do get myself pulling weeds, God continually speaks to me about how pulling weeds out of my garden is like pulling sin out of my life. So, as always when I learn something: you get it taught to you!
     The first lesson I am learning is the longer I go without giving the weeds any attention, the worse they get. They do not go away. They produce other weeds and each weed grows even bigger. What once were a few weeds grow into a ground covering carpet of weeds!
     Sin is like weeds. We all have those 'little' sins. Of course, ‘little’ means something different to different people. However, if we do not keep spiritually sensitive to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, we end up ignoring those 'little' sins until they grow to the point they consume and control us.
     Take care of sin as soon as it appears in your life. Don’t let it grow out of control. One can lead to another and before you know it, it will seem like too many sins to get rid of. At that point, it will take hard, diligent work to rid them out of your life. However, it is always worth the work and heartache because just as a weed free garden is beautiful, there is nothing prettier than a beautiful, weed free life!

All who indulge in a sinful life are dangerously lawless, for sin is a major disruption of God’s order. Surely you know that Christ showed up in order to get rid of sin!
1 John 3:4-5


No comments: