Friday, June 25, 2010

How Deep is Your Roots?

     Well, I hit the flower bed again last night to pull weeds in another section. I only have one more section and then I can put more mulch on it and hopefully stay caught up with the weeds. Yesterday, I talked about how much easier it to pull those weeds as soon as they come up because if you don’t they can grow in size and spread. However, there is another thing that happens if you let them grow and that is their roots get deeper. I don’t whine too much when I pull weeds that have little short roots but it is the ones which have deep roots and take a wrestling match to pull that I hate. The worst is bermuda grass which is what has consumed the last section in my flower bed. If you wanted the grass to grow in the yard you would have to baby it, but if you don’t want it in the flower bed, you can’t keep it from growing! The roots grow everywhere. My mother, a world class gardener, must say the same eleven words to me every time I start weeding, “If you don’t get the roots, they will come right back!” Regrettably, I have learned the hard way that she is totally correct!
     The principle applies to sin as well. You must get the roots out or they will come right back! The newer the sin, the smaller the root. If you only try to get rid of a sin instead of letting God cleanse your heart and show you why you did or do the sin, it will only be a superficial change. After enough time, it will come back. Some of us know instantly what sin has grown roots in us. Some of us feel like we are walking with the Lord and don't have too many weeds in our spiritual garden. Be careful: that is a dangerous place to be. We can start to tell ourselves that we have no sin, and when we do: scripture says we are a liars. I have a list of sins that are pages long. When I think too well of myself, I read this list and come to terms with the truth of what a sinner I am and what sins I need to pull out of my life. As long as we are on this earth, living in these bodies of flesh; we have sin. There will always be weeds to pull whether big, deep rooted ones; or little tiny ones just coming up through the surface. Don't misunderstand me, I am not referring to one sin being worse than another, or ranking them as big and little; in God's eyes sin is sin and He offers the same grace to them all. I am referring to the size of the sin in your life, how much it is consuming you, and how deep it has planted its roots!
     How deep are the roots of you sin(s)? How long has it been since you prayerfully evaluated the little weeds you have let into your life and the huge weeds that have planted deep roots? Is it time to do some weeding? Take time to ponder the Scripture passage today and let it speak to your heart.

Generous in love—God, give grace! Huge in mercy—wipe out my bad record. Scrub away my guilt; soak out my sins in your laundry. I know how bad I’ve been; my sins are staring me down. You’re the One I’ve violated, and you’ve seen it all, seen the full extent of my evil. You have all the facts before you; whatever you decide about me is fair. I’ve been out of step with you for a long time; in the wrong since before I was born. What you’re after is truth from the inside out. Enter me, then; conceive a new, true life. Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean, scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life. Tune me into foot-tapping songs, set the once-broken bones to dancing.
Psalms 51:1-8

No comments: