Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What Picture Would You Chose?

     Brittne’s boyfriend recently asked me for a picture of Britttne when she was small. For once in my life I didn’t ask him why. He is a very fun, loving, and Godly young man. Well, in his playful spirit, he put her childhood picture on his Facebook as his profile picture! It was a big surprise to her and I am sill laughing about it; though I did get into a little trouble for giving it to him from my daughter. What surprises me more is that he has over 1600 friends and there has not been one comment asking him what is up with the little girl’s picture on his profile. I caught myself asking her if there is a way to put up different profile pictures for different people. As soon as the words were out of my mouth (actually typing fingers), I realized how people would love that option. You could put up a professional picture for all of your work contacts, a picture loving or serving people for your church friends, a party picture for your ‘fun’ friends, a Joan Cleaver picture for your family friends, and even a sexy picture for your spouse! If we were able to change our image, we could portray ourselves differently to different groups!
     I have one question for you? What picture would you put up for God? What would you portray to Him? In reality, it wouldn’t matter! Whether you put up one picture or a dozen pictures, He sees them all! There is nothing we can hide from God! There is no faking it.
     Why is it then that we try? We try and hide our sin just like Adam and Eve did. We try and wear our Christian mask on Sunday’s and portray ourselves to be the perfect child of God. I have told you before that this is how I lived with my parents. I remember once telling Brittne that I gave my parents the gift of letting my parents believe that I was perfect and asking her to please give me that gift! She refused, Thank God! And God refuses to accept that gift from me and from you. He wants us to be open and have contrite hearts. He wants us to stand bare before Him, hiding nothing. He wants complete honesty and complete intimacy!
     Are you hiding from God? Hiding your sin? Your heart? Your hurts? Your struggles? Your anger? Your disappointments? Your thoughts? Your desires? You really can stop. It doesn’t work or help you. You can step out from behind the bushes and experience the love of God that only can be experienced when you quit hiding!

I’m an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I’m thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I’m never out of your sight.
Jeremiah 139:2-3

1 comment:

Steph said...

I don't want to hide hurt or sin from God. He is often the one "person" I feel I can be 100% open with and he listens with a loving heart. I tell Him everything even though He already knows it!!!