Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Can You Hear The Voice?

     How long has it been since you heard that still, small voice speaking to your heart? People always want to know, how to hear God! The answer is LISTEN! But how do you know if it is His voice or yours? That can be a little more confusing. When you feel God is telling you something, look around you for confirmation. If He is speaking to you, it will be confirmed from scripture or a teaching using scripture, the council of other Christians who are walking with the Lord, and/or your circumstances. Do we always get it right every time? No! However, the more practice you get the faster you will recognize it! Friday night, when I was deciding if I wanted to go to the car then for my Excedrin or on my way home, I heard an internal voice tell me to go to the car now, not on my way home. I did not recognize this voice as the Holy Spirit at the time! I heard it more as my own deliberating thoughts. After all, this wasn't a big decision! It was one of those little things we decide about every day, sometimes every minute! In addition to the thought, I had a strong pull to go to the car ‘now’ and that is what I really followed. Looking back, though I didn't recognize it at the time, I know it was His voice because of two things. One, the circumstances proved a miraculous intervention had taken place: two, I had a drawing of my heart to not go to the car on my way home, but to go then.
     During those times I do hear God's voice; I have learned to rely on the indescribable peace which overcomes me. I have learned to trust that peace the most when it is something I do not want to do! When I want to do what I am hearing, I take extra time to confirm that I am hearing God's voice. But if you seek Him and His will for you, you will hear it, know it, and find it.
       Another thing we need to do is to stay alert and attentive to the still small voice that whispers to our heart. To hear a quiet voice you have to get rid of the noise; the noise of the world, and the noise of the heart. I do okay with the still part but the quiet part has always been a struggle for me. As an only child, I made noise my friend and used it as comfort when I was home alone. Now, I have to force myself to be in the midst of quietness.
     Besides hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit, we need to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. To only hear and not obey does not bring blessing. I am very thankful that this time I followed the voice I was hearing. Because I listened, I was spared the potential of a major accident.
     We need to be alert for the voice of the Holy Spirit. Are you listening? Is your world noisy? Is your heart full of noise? Do you seek confirmation and peace about what you are hearing? Are you obedient?

Elijah was trying to find and hear from God when he was told....
Go stand on the mountain at attention before God. God will pass by. A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper. When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he muffled his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave, and stood there. A quiet voice asked, "So Elijah, now tell me, what are you doing here?"
1 Kings 19: 11-13

2 comments:

Steph said...

There was a lot of noise in Elijah's story but when he listened he heard GOD!!!! I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing if it is me or God. I need to remember to look for the confirmation and listen closely.

Mrs. T. said...

I saw a little sign once that said "Be Still and Know that I'am God. We can find him in the quiet times we have as well as those hectic times, we Just need to listen during those times at that little voice inside our heads.