Thursday, March 18, 2010

Love Keeps Growing

     On August 15, 1981, I married a man that I was totally in love with. I had dated him for five years and I thought I knew all I needed to know about him. He made me feel secure; he had ambition; he made me feel special; I could trust him; I respected him; he made me laugh; he loved me; and I could see growing old with him. I didn't believe that I could love him more! That was 28 years ago. I have now grown older with him and ’old’ is right around the corner. He still makes me feel secure and special. I can still trust him and he has always taken care of me. However, the love and respect that I felt for him 28 years ago feels like puppy love compared to what I feel today. Time, trials, and tests have grown that love and respect deeper and richer than I could have ever imagined! We have birthed two children and raised them to beautiful adults, we have moved 12 times, we have grown careers and have surrendered to the ministry. We have endured the stress of seminary, the challenges of pastoring, and the heartbreak of losing two little girls we planned on adopting. We have worked through the ups and down of marriage. We have experienced loss of four parents and eight grandparents. We have been blessed with many friends and have seen many wonderful places in this world. It has been a great journey together and I couldn't imagine living a day of it without the man that chose me as his wife.
     I also remember falling in love with my Jesus. There have been times, I have believed I couldn't love Him more and there have been times I yearned for a greater relationship with Him. However, my relationship with Him also grows deeper and richer with time, trials, and tests! The more valleys and mountain tops I walk through with Him, the more my trust and admiration of Him increases. He has comforted me, taught me, forgiven me, lead me, molded me, strengthened me, and blessed me. I could not have survived this life without Him and I plan on holding His hand tightly as I walk through the remaining days of my life.
     How much do you love Jesus? Hopefully, it is more than yesterday and not as much as you will tomorrow! Know that your love will grow as you walk through this life with Him. Every trial, every blessing, every desert will only help you grow in your love for Him. Are you willing to hold His hand through each day of your life? Look at everyday as a step to loving Him more!

Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God's Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God.  We know it so well, we've embraced it heart and soul, this love that comes from God. God is love.  When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us.
1 John 4:14-16

2 comments:

Steph said...

My love for Jesus has grown from when I first accepted Him until now. Even now as I have trials I know that He is still with me and is there to comfort me and that I will undoubtedly learn, love and draw closer to Him throught these trials.

Sherry said...

you said it best:

I also remember falling in love with my Jesus. There have been times, I have believed I couldn't love Him more and there have been times I yearned for a greater relationship with Him. However, my relationship with Him also grows deeper and richer with time, trials, and tests! The more valleys and mountain tops I walk through with Him, the more my trust and admiration of Him increases. He has comforted me, taught me, forgiven me, lead me, molded me, strengthened me, and blessed me. I could not have survived this life without Him and I plan on holding His hand tightly as I walk through the remaining days of my life.

yup...that is it!