Saturday, March 20, 2010

Got Baggage?

The first part of today's devotion you get to watch. I believe that Nicole Johnson is one of the most powerful teachers I know. She teaches through drama. All of her skits touch my life and deeply moves me. This one is no exception! However, though she does not perform this skit, I am sure she wrote it. Watch it and let the Holy Spirit talk to your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrvJIznZKtU
I carried my bags around for years until I surrendered mine too at the feet of Jesus. It is my prayer that you have laid yours down or that today will be the day you will drop them from your clutches. They can get so heavy and impact your ability to enjoy the blessings of life.  I can envision all the burdens that were in my old bag: the one that I laid at the feet of Jesus.  My bag's contents were:
† a pedestal (of course)
† a baby doll that represented a quilt
† a picture of a father that abandoned me
† a measuring stick that determined if I measured up
† a key that represented an unhealthy dependence on Dwayne
† a chip that represented my loss of identity when my grandfather died
† a stethoscope to represent how I became responsible for my parents happiness after their divorce
I am sure I had more items that I have forgotten, but these are what I gave to Jesus when I surrendered my baggage to Him. It has been my experience both personally and from listening to others, that after we give our bags over to Jesus, we can pick up others.   Occasionally, I will find an item like one in my old bag and I will pick it up and start carrying it without even thinking about it. Sometimes, I pick it up thinking it is safe now and that the result will be different this time. It never is! I always end up having to lay it back in the arms of Jesus!
What baggage do you have? Have you laid it down, or are you still carrying it? What new baggage have you picked up?  What is in your bags?  Enjoy the freedom of maneuvering through this life without the burden of carrying heavy baggage!


Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you will learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthews 11: 28-30 (The Message)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Great video! I think bags are something we will always fight to lay down. again and again and again. beautiful beautiful lesson.

Steph said...

I can't watch the video...you tube is banned at work.
Everyone has baggage, it comes with living. I think I have been packing a bag for a long time and just have not set it at the feet of Jesus.
I will say one thing that I packed in my bag is a mirror-representing to not look back.

jackie w said...

Powerful! As I looked at your list, I realized my list is just too long to try to write down....but I"ll try:
* A Dad that loved me but left me
* Feeling responsible for Daddy
leaving
* Self loathing
* Fear of disappointing anyone
* Fear of acceptance
* Fear of rejection

I now know that Jesus has been my sustaining force, otherwise, I would not be able to move due to the weight of my bags.

I still have bags and I will try to remember to not hang on to them....Jesus wants my bags!!!