Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Love Letters

     Yesterday morning, Mother’s Day, I woke up to a wonderful letter written to me by my husband. Though you may never know it from his burly characteristics, he can write wonderful poems and love letters. I have saved many of them and it is very special to read them over and over to remember; where we were, where we wanted to go, and how we got to this wonderful time in life. They are a cherished treasure of the heart. I always tease him that they will comfort me one day when he is gone. The one I received yesterday will go in the saved letter pile. The words of encouragement he gave me for my roles as mother, teacher, and mentor will never fade in value to my insecure heart. His words from the letters he has written me over the years bring me comfort, encouragement, love, remembrance, appreciation, and blessing.
     When I read the letters Dwayne has wrote me, they are letters of the past. However, at Bryce and Kristen’s (my son and daughter-in-laws) rehearsal dinner, I had people write cards to them. We put them in a box and every year they will open up one card. Bryce’s grandfather wrote his card to be opened on their 25th wedding anniversary. Can you imagine what it will feel like to read a letter from someone of the past, to you in the future? His grandfather is 83 years old, so chances are he will not be alive when they read the card. What a sweet gift that will be a special keepsake.
     We have a loved one that left us letters from the past and for the future. His words from the letters He has given us were written to give us comfort, encouragement, love, remembrance, guidance, and blessing. The things we need to consider is if we cherish these letters that our Savior Jesus has left for us. Do we read them and reread them to feel close to Him and to gather everything in our hearts and life that He wanted us to know. Does His word have value in our life or have we let its value fade in importance? They are His love letter to us! Are they important to you?

Jesus commented, “Even more blessed are those who hear God’s Word and guard it with their lives!”
Luke 11:28

1 comment:

Steph said...

I never thought about His word being love letters to us. Since the greatest of all is Love it only makes sense though. Good food for thought!