Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What kind of love do you seek?

     This morning on the way to work, I was listening to a local radio station. They had a young woman on the line who was sharing how she got pregnant and then married the father of her child. They then had another child. Now they have the perfect life, to the outside world. She said they have a love for each other but they are not in love. They have decided to stay together for the next fourteen years until the children are 18 and then they will divorce. That is such a sad story for me because it doesn’t have to be like that. It got me pondering the things I have heard and been asked recently. Let me share some of those with you:
  • How can I love after having those I loved before misuse the trust I gave them?
  • What would happen if they decided not to love me anymore?
  • They don’t do anything for me and I am stuck in this marriage!
  • What is love?
  • If true love comes from God, and I am not perfect, how will I ever be able to love someone?
  • Should love be so hard?
    I see people looking for love everywhere and in all the wrong places (as the old song goes). I see married people having sex outside of marriage. I see single women having affairs with married men. I see people having open marriages. I see Christian’s sleeping with people outside of marriage and thinking nothing of it. It is as if somewhere we have bought a lie from Satan that sex will give you love. Yet, we have forgotten that God says all sex of any kind outside of your own marriage is sin.

      We all have a love tank in our soul. That love tank is like a gas tank on a car. Your car needs a quality, clean gas to run and to run efficiently. If you pumped diesel gas into a regular car, or if you put dirty gas, or water into your gas tank, you will hurt your car’s performance or destroy its engine. If you try and put anything into you love tank other than God’s kind of love, you will cause hurt in your life or destroy your relationship. When two people seek the Lord and follow His leading and His desires, they will be blessed with love in all areas of their life.
     A question I learned from my wise husband is this: If you want God to bless your relationship, shouldn’t your relationship’s behavior be following God’s principles? We want to do what we want and then ask God to bless it! Our love tank is only full when we fill it with the clean, pure love of God. When we are full of His love, all relationships work to produce blessing in our life. When we don’t, we experience pain and broken relationships. It doesn’t matter if you are dating, engaged, single, or married, are you willing to let your relationships be lead by God and are you willing to fill your love tank with only His love? Are you ready to cut the hose to the world’s dirty, unclean, fake love that only brings destruction to your life? May you choose, may I choose, the Love of God!

  
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes and the vain glory of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1 John 2:15-16

 

1 comment:

Steph said...

This was a great post for me. I was listening to the radio this morning as well and they had people on there talking about cheating and people were taking it so lightly as if love is not that important and it is not special. I changed the station because I hated hearing it.
I am thinking of the song Empty Me.