Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What Are You Thinking?

     Today, I did one of my little blunders; not a big one mind you, just a little one. I was trying to find my previous number called on my work phone. I have worked at my company for a year now but I never knew all the features of my phone. So, in my process to find my number I hit a few wrong buttons, so I picked up the receiver and put it back down to clear the commands. A few minutes later, I heard a coworker at a desk laughing and asking if Sherry accidently hit the speaker button. So, I hollered out, “No! It’s me! Then they told me to fix my phone. I hollered back, “I don’t know how!” Then they told me to hit the goodbye button and I said, “Where is that!” Now they are cracking up laughing because I hit the INTERCOM button and the whole company was only hearing me! They heard, "No! It’s me! . . . I don’t know how! . . . Where is that?" I didn’t even know I had an intercom button on my phone! This lovely situation made me wonder how different my words would be if I knew I was on an intercom all day.
     That question made me think of one of my favorite movie: What Women Want! I love it when he hears what women are thinking. Women’s thoughts are not a safe place for a guy to go! It did drive him crazy until it starts to change him. He started understanding and caring about the women he was hearing. He ends up relating to women in a way few, if any men, can!
     Can you imagine with me for a moment what it would be like if someone could read your mind? I know there would be moments when I would feel so shameful! I think I would begin to hide from everyone, to save some face. Yet, if I could read the mind of those people I have a hard time dealing with, maybe I would hear their fears or insecurities or hurts and have grace and compassion for them. Or maybe I would hear the really bad things and really have a hard time with them! Lol
    Whether it is the words I say, or the thoughts I think, I would not want others to hear them. I do try to control my tongue and mind, but it is always a struggle. However, I can hide my thoughts from everyone and my words from most, but I can not hide one thought or one word from God. Regrettably, He knows everyone of them. Just think of the thoughts you have had today! Have you taken them captive? When a thought that is not pleasing to God enters you mind, arrest it, and execute it!

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ;
2 Corinthians 10:5

2 comments:

Steph said...

I was just thinking here recently gosh I am glad no one can hear what I am thinking.Controlling my thoughts has been really chanllenging lately. I have really had to be on guard. I have my shield and sword...I am ready for battle.

Mrs. T. said...

While reading your devotion today,I had the biggest laugh I've had all week. Make that all month!! I can just imagine how paniced you must have felt. It's funny because I always have my phone on screening mode and the other day after my message was done this little voice came on and said " Goodby" Made me chuckle. You maybe caused a few smiles today but then again I think this generation has forgotten how to laugh. Thank you for giving me another chuckle today. Was just what I needed.