Monday, May 17, 2010

Why Did You Go To Church Today?

     If you went to church yesterday, why did you go? That is one question I do not ask myself often enough. Going to church is such a habit and part of my life. For a pastor’s wife, it can become an action just like going to work; something I do without thinking why. It has been twenty years since I have seen church attendance as a choice. I have forgotten what it is like to get up on a Sunday morning and ask myself if I feel like going to church today. I am not sure that is a good thing! However, I don’t believe the real question should be ‘do I want to go to church’? It should be, ‘why am I going to church?’ We all face that question. It hurts my heart when I hear some of the answers to that question. Some go for the music, some to see friends, some for the preaching, some because they have responsibilities, some go because that is what you are suppose to do to be a good Christian, some because they want to look good for their friends, some because their parents or their spouse makes them, some go because it is a holiday, and some go because they are in crisis and they're looking for hope until life comes back together. Have you ever gone for any or many of these reasons? How rewarding was it in the long run?
     Yesterday during the music, the singer shared part of the story behind the song he was going to sing. It has been one of my favorite songs since the day it came out, but now that I know the story behind it, it is even more powerful. Let me share it with you!
     Soul Survivor (a church and ministry in London) had developed a great worship time through music. It was what they were known for. Yet, they felt they had lost their spark. Although they were singing the songs, their hearts were far from Him. Then one day it clicked; they had become connoisseurs of worship instead of participants of it. They began to make statements like; 'Not that song again,' 'I can't hear the bass,' 'I like the way she sings better.' They had made the band the performers of worship and themselves the audience. They were challenged to ask themselves individually, 'When I come through the door of the church, what am I bringing as my contribution to worship?' They discovered the truth was that worship is not a spectator sport, it is not a product molded by the taste of the consumers. It is not about what we can get out of it; it is all about God. So they banned their band. For worship they sat around in circles and it was up to them to bring a sacrifice of praise. If they didn’t, they sat in silence. It was a very painful process. They were learning not to rely on the music. After a while, they began to have some very sweet times of worship. They began bringing prayers, readings, prophecies, thanksgiving, praises and songs. Someone would start a song ac-cappella and others would all join in. They stopped having church and started once again meeting with God. With all the comforts stripped away, they worshiped from their heart. From this time of banning the music, their music minister wrote the following words:

When the music fades,
All is stripped away, and I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself is not what you have required.
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear;
You're looking into my heart.
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you
All about you Jesus.
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you,
All about you Jesus.
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much you deserve.
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is yours, every single breath
This story was told by Pastor Mike Pilavachi at http://www.higherpraise.com/worship/worship_whenthemusicfades.htm

     Corporate worship is to be a time we come together and focus on God. We are not to be the audience; God is the audience. We all perform worship for Him and sacrifice is central to Biblical worship.

We are called to offer our bodies as living sacrifices - this is OUR spiritual act of worship.
 Romans 12:1
     Most of us have heard this scripture. What is your sacrifice? We often think we sacrifice our time while we sit in church, or we sacrifice and serve somewhere so we can pat our self on the back and say, “look how much I love Jesus!” Let me ask you a question; if your spouse treated you like you treat Jesus, would you be happy? Let’s say that once a week they cooked and served you a meal and actually cleaned up the kitchen when they were done. Then they pulled up a chair beside you and said, “I am here in your presence, I am giving up the next hour and a half to be moved by you. You need to entertain and move me during this time to keep me coming back each week. Would that make you feel honored? Loved? Worshiped? If it isn’t good enough for you, it is certainly not good enough for Him. You can give Him your time; you can give Him your service; but what He wants is your heart! He wants you to sacrifice your self pleasing desires and have a God pleasing heart! So,“Why do you go to church?”

1 comment:

Steph said...

I got to fellowship, sing and learn more about our loving God. I thought the song Heart of Worship was appropriate yesterday. Our worship has changed a lot and I think that is ok...after all it is all God.