Monday, April 4, 2011

Avoid Danger

     This week I spent time doing something that has become a threat to my health. It is something I don’t love doing but I have to do every Spring. I had to clean out my flower bed. I don’t know if you all remember but a little over a year ago I had a severe allergic reaction to what we believe was Virgina Creeper. My face swelled and my eyes were almost impossible to open. I got blisters that moved across my body for six weeks. My body reacted to the strong steroids I had to take and I ended up taking high blood pressure medicine and anti depressants to counteract the steroids. I was told that if I get into Virginia Creeper again, my reaction will be severe even possible hospitalization. As I type this out, I think to myself, “Why do you keep risking it?” I only know that when my flower beds are overtaken with neglect and the weeds and plants are out of control, I can’t take it and enter the danger zone. However, for the first time I entered with care. I wore long sleeve and gloves. I showered immediately after I finished and lathered up my body with my steroid cream. I am happy to report that I haven’t experienced an explosive reaction.

     Do you know the things that can attack you spiritually? Do you know those things that can threaten your spiritual health? What do you do to protect yourself or do you protect yourself? Whatever your strongholds are they will grow in strength when they are not kept under control. You need to avoid the temptations that trip you up. Memorize scripture to help you stand. Cloth yourself with the armor of God and cover yourself with the Holy Spirit.
     It is better to avoid the dangers of sin that to deal with their effects.

I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil so I can spend all my time keeping your Word.
Psalm 119:101

1 comment:

Mrs. T. said...

Don't want to scare you but, next time when you do it make sure it is not a windy day as I understand you can also get it from inhaling the stuff blowing around. Just to be sure use a mask. At this point I do believe I'd have it all taken out and make a stone garden instead. Have been in your shoes so I know it's no fun. When we had all that snow, I remember thinking how beautiful it looked. No footprints or etc. How clean and white it was. The Lord promises our sins would be forgiven and we'll be as white as snow.I feel about the snow like you do about flowers. Thanks to the Lord for all the beautiful things he sends us.