Friday, July 16, 2010

All In God's Hand

    I am sitting in the Houston airport waiting to board a plane for Panama City and then on to Lima to begin my week of missions in the Andes mountains. As every event in my life, it has been a journey to even this point. We woke on time and I was feeling pretty good since I was able to clean my house and even shampoo my carpets. We left at 7:30 with the two girls that were riding with us, on time and in the truck. Our next stop was to pick up the gentleman that is going with us on the way to the airport. We were going to pick him up at 8:15. It was between those two destinations that we started feeling the attack from the enemy. First we ran into a little traffic on our two lane road. Then I randomly asked the sister of one of the young women from Fusion going with the group, how old she was. She said she was 16 years old. Instantly, I felt sick. I knew from previous experience that to take a minor out of the country you need a notarized letter from the parent giving permission. Now, when you have the letter, you are not always asked for it, but if you don’t have the letter, the odds are you will be asked for it. We were on the phone talking to the mother of the teenager asking her to fax a letter (while we're driving to the airport). Our friend of ours owns a company by the airport and we had her send the letter to him. As Dwayne was on the phone trying to get things worked out, he saw red lights in his rear view. Yes, he was being pulled over by a highway patrolman. He knew he wasn’t speeding and was very confused as to why we were going to have this delay. Within a minute into our visit at the window with the officer, he informed Dwayne that he had pulled him over because when he had passed him on the left lane and then signaled to get into the right lane, he did not keep his signal on during the complete lane change. I think we both thought, “Are you kidding! Are we being videoed on candid camera or something?” Dwayne followed the officer to his vehicle where he was given a warning for improper changing of lanes. Now we were 15 minutes past our second destination point to pick up our guy. Due to some error in communication as to the exact point, we drove pass them. Thankfully, they saw us drive by and called. We pulled over again to wait (it was faster for them to come to us than for us to turn around and go back). Now we had the decision to make rather to go check in at the airport and then go get the fax or go get the fax and be past our 2 hour check in time for international flights. Again, thank God for great friends, our friend drove the fax to us at the airport and we did not have to risk being too late. Most of the time,it doesn't taketoo much time to get through the security lines in Tulsa; right? Well not today! We had sat and drank coffee before the security point because there wasn’t a line and literally minutes before we went to get in line, it magically became a really long line. After around 30 minutes we made it to the security officer and as I handed him my passport, the doors to the security area closed and he looked at me and said, “This isn’t good!” At first I thought it was that the x-ray machines went down but he told me that it was because they had found something that wasn’t good! Luckily the doors reopened before I had time to panic. Once we got through the gate everything went smoothly.

     We all need to be reminded that anytime we start a journey of obedience to God’s calling, Satan will try and trip us up. However, Jesus Christ has overcome Satan and He has no real power in our life. He can cause some irritation but the will of God always prevails. Going into the next week, I know that whatever Satan tries to throw our way, God’s will for us to be in Peru will win! All we have to do it to rest in Jesus and go with the flow of the Holy Spirit! Resting in the direction and timing of the Holy Spirit is better than any tranquillizer we can take! (love ya Bev!)
     I have no idea what is in store for me this week, but I don’t need too! I am in the hands of the potter of my life and it is up to Him of what will become of it. I just have to stay on the wheel!

And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us, confirming the work that we do.
Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do!
Psalm 90:17


P.S. I am going to do my best to write everyday but the timing of the post may be irregular and if internet decides to disappear, so will the devotions. Please pray for our team this week as I will pray for you!

No comments: