Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Heart Change

     Today was another funeral day for me. I attended the funeral of a lady who I have grown to love deeply. She was a very unique person and had the unique name of Bronice. I first met Bronice when we went to First Baptist Church in Fort Gibson. I had heard about a 'mean' woman who would tell you like it is. One Sunday, I was going through each of the Sunday school classes to give an announcement. When I went to the older woman’s class, I froze. I wouldn’t go in; ‘she’ was in that room. My husband told me how she wasn’t that bad and I needed to get to know her. I remember thinking, ‘yea, right!’ In time I went with Dwayne to visit her in her home. I started to hear about the difficulties of her life and our hearts soon bonded. Her hardness started fading and I started looking past it! Dwayne and her bantered back and forth continually and brought fun to our relationship with her. Many times she told me how she had never been pretty. When she was young, all the other girls would go to school with their dresses and hair all fixed and she went with overall and pigtail braids. She never did accept any compliment; she just couldn’t believe it. However, to me . . . she became more beautiful each time I visited with her. She taught me many things. She taught me that you cannot judge a book by its cover. She taught me that first impressions are not lasting. She taught me that great treasures can lie beneath hard shells. She taught me that Christians come in many packages. And lastly, she taught me that beauty from the inside is far more attractive than beauty from the outside. I will miss my friend, but I will never let myself be as scared of a person again as I was her.
    If God looks past the surface to the heart, why don’t I? Why do I believe that first impressions are lasting? Why do I believe that I can judge a person by their exterior? May I continue to grow more like Jesus and may I see people with His eyes as I retire mine!

Be honest in your judgment and do not decide at a glance (superficially and by appearances); but judge fairly and righteously.
John 7:24

P.S. Lord, please give Bronice a big hug for me and tell her how beautiful she is!

2 comments:

Steph said...

I am one of the worst persons with first impressions so I really try to give people a second or third chance....sometimes I do have that urge to judge quick but I remind myself just how hard it is. Thank goodness the Lord looks at our heart!

Mrs. T. said...

Sounds like a very special lady. The people we meet during our lifetimes are amazing. So many different styles and personalities and etc. I love to study people and sometime strike up a conversation to talk with them, especially if the strong urge is there. I spoke to a lady at wal mart one day and found out her sister had passed away a few weeks ago.A few teary moments there but sooned changed to laughter about some of the things she did in her life. By the time we got done talking I told her she was just what I needed. I had been feelingbad that day also and we seemed to help each other. We were both smiling when we left.