Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Real or Fake?

     Let’s talk about kindness today! To me there are two different kinds of kindness; real kindness and fake kindness! Have you ever known someone that was very kind to you and later find out that it was just an act, or they were just nice when there was something in it for them. I have had that kind of kindness demonstrated to me more times than I can count. I have to admit that it has had its effect on me. I struggle with wondering if a person’s kindness is real and so it takes me awhile to trust. Then I tend to wonder about their sincerity at the first sign of fakeness! The difference for me is whether someone is acting kind or being kind. I have been blessed to know some truly kind people. They would never say an unkind word about anybody and they look for the good in everyone. Anyone can act kind but it takes something other than our fleshly desire to be kind. It takes being filled with the Holy Spirit. Kindness is a characteristic of the Holy Spirit and comes only from living a life in submission to Jesus Christ.
     The definition for kindness is the act or the state of being kind and marked by charitable behavior, mild disposition, pleasantness, tenderness and concern for others, helpfulness towards someone in need, not seeking return for anything, nor for the advantage of the helper himself, but for that of the person helped".
     These definitions are killing me because it is like looking in a mirror and seeing all of my faults and those faults keep me from achieving another virtue and that is purity. Purity is the absence of impurity in a substance or abstinence from vices and/or abundance of virtue. We will never be able to be pure without living a virtuous life. In reality our sin has marred us from ever being completely pure this side of Heaven. However, thank God, He doesn’t see our impurities when we have accepted Jesus as our Savior; He sees Jesus instead of us!
     Do you want to be a virtuous person? Keep trying to get it right on your own and you will keep failing. Surrender each moment to Jesus and He will make you virtuous by consuming you! All we have to do is be filled with His Spirit. If you had a gage to show you how full you are of the Holy Spirit, what would the gage read?

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Peter 1:5-8 NIV

No comments: